More shower tray probs

Have finally got hold of a shower tray (1200x800 cast resin/stone ). It says that it absolutely must be laid on thin dry mortar bed 5mm min supporting the whole thing and the edge. Sounds reasonable but in fact this is virtually impossible to achieve. It's very heavy and impossible to manouevre to sit close between three walls and to fiddle about with mortar etc to get it perfectly level. At best one could drop it in place but any adjustments after that would be impossible whilst retaining a perfect mortar bed. Hardest at the edges where the rim is only 12mm wide - and the centre panel part isn't flat as it has a tilt for drainage. Part of the prob is that if I attempt to move it I'll get mortar on my hands etc and scratch the surface. There isn't much to hold on to once it's down. Any suggestions? I'm beginning to think I should have bought one of those expensive ceramic ones with an adjustable foot at each corner.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

A while ago someone suggested putting a couple of wooden strips down, then mortaring between them, resting the tray on the strips then sliding the strips out - it worked well for me on a 900x900. Obviously there's no mortar where the strips were but if this is against the side walls it's probably reasonable to assume that this bit won't get jumped on.

Reply to
Dave

Having noticed in your earlier posts that you were dealing with an alcove installation, I wondered if you'd come back with that problem, but I thought you were using one with adjustable feet in the corner?!

Well...

Yes I asked the same question as Jacob here a few months ago, and this was the answer I got. Have a google for more details on the technique.

It certainly worked like a dream, with a perfect installation and no spinal damage! I used three wooden slats IIRC, but instead of placing the outer ones flush with the wall, I positioned them about 3-4 inches in, as I felt it was important that mortar went right up to the edges to support the rim, as that's where any leaks will occurr and you really don't want any sagging. Also, these trays have a hollow, unsupported area all the way round near the sides, which IMHO makes it all the more important to ensure the actual edges are fully supported.

David

Reply to
Lobster

and that is exactly what I've decided