Modifying CH pipework on combi boiler system

Many thanks for your comprehensive step by step guide.

The boiler is a modern but not current Worcester Bosch located in the garage. It's only been in about two years.

The rad in question is upstairs in the bathroom, and as I intend to cut the pipes, I'll close the valves on the others to minimise loss and drain it down.

Thanks again for your effort in typing out all the steps.

Roger R

Reply to
Roger R

Thanks for your reply. I looked up your thread and saw the helpful response by Roger Mills. That post and those received here seem to cover all the bases.

Roger R

Reply to
Roger R

No probs - Just to add to what I said, before about cutting it "live" without draining down if it is under the floor, this only applies if it is on the ground floor, not upstairs! as you don't want spill water where there is a room below!

I would recommend you purchase at least two push fit end stops for the size pipe you are cutting (reusable ones like this

if you have an emergency, and water starts to come out in large quantities, you can just shove it on the end to stop it.

Make sure you get demountable ones, as some of them will go on, but need to be cut off!

Put an old (large) towel down under where you are cutting, just in case you haven't drained it down fully, and get a surprise!

The best pipe cutter I have used is a pipe slice like this

I have also got one a bit like this
But it is more awkward to use, and requires FAR more space around the pipe you are cutting, so I would defiantly recommend the pipe slice cutters.

You say it is in a bathroom - it is a normal radiator, or a towel rail? If it's a towel rail, it will probably have a cap on the top like this

If so, then the whole "nut" can be removed, to pour in the inhibitor with a funnel - this will save having to "inject" it, and will probably be cheaper.

Even if it is not a towel rail, you may have a radiator in the house with a similar cap on the side - just attach a short length of hose to the funnel, and stick the other end in here to add the inhibitor (after draining a suitable amount of water from the radiator first, of course!)

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

Get your wet/dry vac out before you start. They will vac up any spills before they can go anywhere. I had to replace the washer on a drain c*ck last week and the aqua vac meant I didn't get everything wet while completely unscrewing the plug and removing it. The wife moaned about having to hold her finger over the hole though while I was putting the new washer on its post so I will have to find a cork next time.

Reply to
dennis