Modem/router without WiFi?

My ISP supplies me with a modem/router without WiFi, and I would like to acquire one for another site; but there do not seem to be any available, at least at Amazon.

I know one can turn off WiFi on most if not all modem/routers, but this seems unnecessarily complicated.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

I'm sure you can find a rack-mounted solution if you *really* don't want WiFi, but otherwise, economies of scale mean it is cheaper to build them all with WiFi and allow those who don't want it it to turn it off.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

It only involves pressing a button.

Reply to
Nightjar

Mm. I think they are still available.

Now what is that site...cant remember broadbandbuyer. Anyway amazon has several from a £12 TP link to well over a ton, depending.

e.g. TP-Link TD-8840T

a pos consumer router that is good enough for a single domestic machine setup at under £15

There's a very nice billion at 80 squid or so.

And a belkin for under £10.

I hate belkin.

You obviously haven't looked very hard.

PS how does one say 'without wireless' wirelessless?? ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not at the rock bottom emd.

There are a dozen on amazon at least.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK, thanks. That's very useful.

I had a Billion modem/router which ran perfectly for a couple of years, but died in an electric storm (in Italy).

I just searched on Amazon and eBay for "modem/router without WiFi", and got no responses from either. I did look on the Billion site in Taiwan, but the links to the relevant pages seemed to be down.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Mine did the same. Not in Italy tho. went all weird after a big storm and started dropping connections. when the MTBF was < 20 minutes I got a POS TP link. that was unable to handle two pcs and a wifi connection at any great speed, so in went a S/H cisco SOHO router. You can boil a kettle on it, but it does the business.

I like billion tho. Miss mine

Just scan the amazon dsl router pages and if you sort by cheapness, most of the consumer crap without wifi will be at that end.

There are two reason to not have wifi.

1) dirt cheap. Single PC 2) professional enough to not want it, since you are either cabled up or have got a repeater in every office, and don't need one in the machine room.

which is reflected in the < £20 or >£60 costs of the various ones I found.

netgear I think being middle of the road consumer crap, don't do one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Loads here with no WIFI (it's a tickbox down the left side) :)

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Its just oone checkbox on the Virgin one I have. I suspect that as in most things, they build standard modules and they get configurd how the user wants them. A company better known for its dodgy old CB radios back in the mists of time. Uniden used to have a non wireless one sold in some stores, but I've not seen one for about two years, it was probably badge engineered in any case. I had not noticed their demise till you mentioned it! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Plusnet have sent me a couple of routers FOC if I agreed to stay with them for a year. Your ISP might do the same if that is of any help

Reply to
Michael Chare

I think the one I have doesn't like me though, it won't do what it's told and the WiFi only seems to work when it feels like it :)

Reply to
Lee