Mitering skirting boards.

I have to fit some new skirting board - does anyone know of any good trick to miter the internal and external coreners without a compund miter saw? I only have a regular miter saw!

Mark.

Reply to
mark

That's all you need, unless your walls are REALLY out of square.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The internal ones you don't mitre. You push one side up against the other, and draw a pencil line along the outline of the edge. Then you cut the one with the pencil line to the line. It works beautifully. External ones do need a mitre saw, but is not impossible even if you are a practical clutz like me.

John

Reply to
John E

Here's a picture:

John E

picture:

But the skirting I want to fit is rounded at the top - I don't think it will give a neat join if they are butted.

Mark.

Reply to
mark

Why do you need a compound mitre saw? You only need simple mitres. My Wickes (hand) mitre saw does a perfectly adequate job.

A lot of people will tell you not to mitre internal corners, anyway - but to scribe them instead. personally I prefer to mitre them - but you have to be pretty accurate when cutting a length with a mitre both ends.

Reply to
Roger Mills

The skirting is approx 12mm thick, by 100mm high. If I use a regular miter sae, then I need to balance the skirting on the 12mm surface rather than the 100mm surface when cutting. I'm not sure how well this will work?

Mark.

Reply to
mark

It does work with rounded tops. Try an off cut and you will be surprised!

John

Reply to
John E

The skirting is approx 12mm thick, by 100mm high. If I use a regular miter sae, then I need to balance the skirting on the 12mm surface rather than the 100mm surface when cutting. I'm not sure how well this will work?

Mark.

Profiling(scribing) as I like to call it is the way to go with any skirting as it works neater and more accurate than mitre. Mitre has two down falls ie not all corners are true and if using a hand mitre saw with wide skirting the saw tends to go skeewiff halfway down the cut or if the wood is slighty warped this scenario also happens.

Reply to
George

Agreed, this is a surprisingly easy way to create excellent 'mitred' corners, and I'm a numpty with wood. Use an abrafile to cut it with and take your time and I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results...

Reply to
Bovvered?

My mitre saw has both a horizontal and a vertical surface. I simply clamp skirting against the vertical surface, and that keeps it upright.

Reply to
Roger Mills