Miele G645SC Dishwasher Problem

I got a Miele G645SC dishwasher about 10 days ago and it's already packed up. Not really what I expected from Miele, or from any manufacturer for that matter.

The machine suddenly stops with the inlet/drain light flashing.

I've checked all the filters and the pump...which are very clean of course as only 10 days old! Checked the drain hose doesn't have a kink. Checked the inlet hose...the machine is filling with water. Checked the spinning water blades aren't obstructed and i've also unplugged it for 30 minutes as Miele suggested.

If anyone can suggest any other fixes it would be most appreciated as i've just got used to life not washing dishes for the first time. :-)

Other then that, the over-priced, over-rated pile of junk will be going back.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Get the bloke out - it's under guarantee.

No matter how good the make (or how poor) it's not impossible for something to fail.

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

You're absolutely right, but when Miele openly boast about their products being designed and tested to perform reliably for 15-20 years and you pay a premium with that in mind...it's very annoying and when you've just got used to not washing dishes by hand for the first time in 16 years it's soul destroying (lol).

Anyway, i'd rather either get a refund or a replacement after just 10 days.

Reply to
RedOnRed

This situation isn't good but can happen. In general, Miele products do perform well - I hve three with over 30 machine years between them and only three service calls.

Try giving their service department a call - explain the situation. That is very well and professionally organised. They will confirm a morning or afternoon visit and the engineer calls as he is leaving his previous appointment.

This would be less grief than returning and replacing the machine.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In article , RedOnRed writes

Stick with it, we've had Siemens and Miele for years and excellent equipment it is too . Must be something silly wrong with it . Get their support out to repair or swap it out.....

Reply to
tony sayer

well this is what happens when people buy branded goods, they are no better than any other - unless they have a specific feature you want. Call the people you got it from and have them exchnge it. Don't take all that rubbish about "contact the manufcturer" - the mnufacturer never sold you the goods. It's the retilers responsibility.

Reply to
mark

You need to order a packet of common sense with the next one or get yourself over to

. You are a classic victim of advertising. You have paid far more for a product you're going to be stuck with what will be well outdated. You should have paid for one that wasn't expensive due to a name, that way when the other one did go after say 5 or 6 years you could get another. You would actually pay less by not going for a model were the sales talk states "this is well expensive as we claim it lasts longer". I really do hope you were not stupid enough to fall for lining the sales persons pockets by being tricked into buying insurance or extended warranty? They make more money from insurance and warranty than goods. Your goods are already covered for 1 year, unless you bought them from John Lewis in which case it is 3 years, so you do NOT need to pay for any extended warranty until AFTER 12months from the date of purchase, or AFTER 36months if John Lewis. Shops are misleading people by putting the date of purchase on extended warranty paperwork.

People really do need to stop falling for sales talk and being conned, learn to shop about and stop throwing money away. Learn to see through adverts, also sales talk and you will be fr better off.

Reply to
mark

Cheers for that.

I've been registered with moneysavingexpert.com for the past 3 years and got the dishwasher online cheaper then anywhere else.

I did a lot of research into it before getting it and wasn't a victim of a lame sales pitch and just took the standard warranty it came with (2 years).

Reply to
RedOnRed

I've already got an engineers visit booked for Wednesday, but i've also got Curry's calling me back on Monday to sort out an exchange or refund. So i've got both angles covered depending on what I decide.

I suppose a repair could be less hassle then swapping the machine.

It's a strange fault. Both mornings this weekend it has refused to work with the drain/inlet light flashing. Leave it off for an hour or so and it decides to start working.

I wonder if I put it on top of a beach towel tomorrow morning it might work straight off?

Reply to
RedOnRed

Yes - I agree - it is annoying. Annoying like when I had to wait 6 weeks for my Bosch dishwasher to be delivered - you just want to play and get it hard at work :-|

BUT... My Dad has bought various diskwashers - I've only had a Bosch (which blew the coil on the water inlet valve after a few months and was repaired under guarantee...) And I've used a great many washing machines until I bough my Miele bottom-of-their-range.

With my washing machine, the build quality and performance is *much* better than run of the mill stuff. It's heavy (full of cast iron weights), doesn't dance round the house on spin, knobs and doors don;t feel like they are about to fall off and seems to do an exceptionally good job compared to what it replaced (which never rinsed very well and cleaning performance was just adequate). The Bosch dishwasher I've got is pretty good, performing reliably, even with really crappy scunged up dishes.

What I'm saying is that the money for Miele or Bosch Logixx (top end for them) or other notable brands often gives a better engineered product that performs it's job better than the cheap conterparts. It's not all about longevity. On the latter, I cannot comment - have to ask me in 20 years if my washing machine's still alive. If it is, I will have paid no more per year than buying a series of cheap junk, and the environment and performance benefits to boot.

I'd say, give them a chance to fix it and see how you like it. It is probably something very simple and easily swapped out.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

My miele is now 15 years old, two real breakdowns in that time, pressure switch once, a transformer recently ( I fixed that)

Usually the inlet light flashing is either that pressure is very low or sometimes that something is stuck in the pump, get to it and inspect with a good lamp as sometimes I have found something like a fishbone that looks clear can jam it.

stick with the miele as they are the business when they are working right, almost silent and they wash well, I have looked at other makes and rejected them compared to mine.

Reply to
mrcheerful

Yebbut unless it was hand-delivered direct from the Miele factory carried on a velvet cushion by flaxen-haired frauleins wearing lederhosen, sumfink might have fell orf in transit like (or some transit bracket was not taken off during installation).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Low pressure, that's an intersting point. I unscrewed the inlet hose and turned the tap on whilst holding a jug underneath it (i'm not that thick) and the pressure seemed quite low. It filled the jug up reasonably quickly but wasn't spurting out of the tap, but then as I understand it, too high a pressure isn't good at all and it should be under 3 bar. So not too sure really.

I checked the pump yesterday and it spins round nicely.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Sorry - that isn't true. If it were, why does my Miele washing machine weigh far more than most (being full of cast iron, not concrete), why does the door not feel flimsy and why is it provably much quieter than many others?

Why is there apparent attention to detail on every part of it, such as the little holes in the folds of the rubber door seal that stop mouldy water pooling and the child-proof lockout of the controls to name a couple.

That's valid though.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

You're basically Drivel but with poor spelling and grammar.

You are, of course, totally wrong. Your statement indicates that you have no experience of anything other than bottom of the range machines. There is no disputing that a Miele is better built, performs better and lasts much longer than a similar Hotpoint.

Reply to
Grunff

Yeah, I now think it made be due to the pressure being to low from the water inlet. The water pressure has to be within certain limits.

I had some hopeless workman come round and he fitted a self-cutting tap. The flow rate through it is very low.

I'll get it checked out. Strange though how it was working fine for 10 days.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Complete nonsense. Presumably you have never looked at different manufacturer's products or can't afford the better ones.

That is true. However, the manufacturer may wish to support the retailer by offering to provide the support on his behalf. The purpose of this is to provide a better outcome for the customer and to save the retailer the cost of running his own service organisation.

It would certainly be the case if you buy unbranded junk as you are suggesting that you would have to revert to the retailer and invoke refund/replacement.

In the case of a good quality branded product such as Miele, while the retailer has legal responsibility for delivering a working product. the manufacturer is far better equipped with knowledge and a service organisation to deal with problems.

Problems only occur when the customer is buying an unbranded product on price while still expecting a high level of service. The manufacturer is then not equipped to service because he doesn't have hte margin and the retailer is incompetent at doing anything other than addressing the problem commercially with a refund or replacement.

At the end of the day, one wants a working product or one would not have bought it in the first place.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I got the same model a few months back and have been very pleased with it.

It is worth having a root round the Miele web site for free extended warrenty offers. I downloaded a PDF for one and sent it off and got another five years of cover for the cost of a stamp.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, what with all those new featurs that they will add to dishwashers in the future... I hear that a hi-fi stereo "ping" to say it has finished, may come along soon, and a fragrance unit that will automatically make all your dishes smell of new china, plus a fork conditioner to give a more luxurious "mouth feel" to your old four pronged friend.

Yup that makes sense - with your cheap dishwasher at half the price buying four of them is going to work out soooo much cheaper ;-)

On a top end product you can realistically expect far more than one year of cover irrespective of what the store ot the manufacturer state - simply by exercising your statutary rights.

Better to do some research and see what owners think of model they have bought, and the after sales service.

Reply to
John Rumm

Give Miele's service number a call after 1800 on Tuesday and you should be able to get an approximate time for the visit. Calls are referenced by your phone number if I remember correctly.

Strange. There are various sensors, and possibly, as you say, the water suppy is inadequate. You can test the pumping out easily enough by putting a quantity of water into the machine with a jug. Start the program and see if it pumps out. It chould empty the machine at the start of the cycle.

Does this machine have the anti-flooding control on the inlet hose? This involves a specific hose with a block at the tap end and an extra valve. The idea is to prevent flooding if something bad happens with the machine.

Even so, if you have given all of the details, it is probably a simple fix.

Reply to
Andy Hall