Method of moving gazebo and tables to and from pitch

I am providing a charity stand at the local carnival, to hand out leaflets and make contact with potential new members.

This will be a gazebo (about 2.5m * 2.5m), a couple of tables, some boxes of leaflets and some fold up chairs. Oh, and some collecting buckets.

Vehicle access to the area we are setting up in stops at 10:00 and doesn't resume until 22:00. The event is for 2 days.

I don't have cover for all this period from volunteers to be at the stand, so I may have to arrange to remove all the bits to safety without using a vehicle.

I am now trying to think up a design for some kind of trolley (possibly based on wheels fixed to folded tables) which could carry the rest.

Something like would do the job, but at around £450 this is way over budget and also it is a big item to transport and store to/from the parking near the site.

What I think I need is an axle and two wheels on a board which I can strap to a table - need two to go front and back. It would be good if the front axle was steerable.

The table then forms the bed of the truck and I tie the rest of the stuff on top. Much like a soap box cart but with the body made from the table.

At one time I would think of scavenging a large wheel pram for the bits but these are now collectors items rather than junk shop items.

Can anyone help me with a search term to find suitable (inexpensive) bits?

Thanks

Dave R

Reply to
David

how about a sack barrow? = or two

Reply to
Charles Hope

In message , Charles Hope writes

Sailing dinghy launch trolley kit?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

One sack barrow would be a problem as the table in question is 2.5 metres long so way tall.

I am expecting the whole package to be too heavy to pick up one end with wheels on the other.

I had worked out that if I had a second sack barrow I could strap one to each end of the table, possibly, but I think that would be unsteerable.

I am remembering moving a mucking big steel beam balanced on a single block of wood with two trailer wheels (brought by the steel supplier) so two wheels in the middle might do nicely.

Looked at the Indespension site but this is all a bit expensive. Budget in the £100s which is way too much.

However ideas are starting to come together and I could be looking for a scrap two wheel trailer to rob the wheels and suspension.

I also have a small Daxara trailer out on loan to someone where I think you can take the sides off to make it flat bed. It also stands on end for storage. Worth exploring.

Cheers

David

Reply to
David

Good thought - I have found

I would need to make some kind of U shaped bracket to keep the wheel clear of the table - roughly a beam with two wheels beneath mounted on brackets.

I am looking at scavenging trailer bits at the moment, but if not this looks a good possibility.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

0

They're available for hire

Would it go on a roofrack above a car for storage and transport?

A possible alternative is to borrow a horsebox or similar and leave it park ed at your exhibit location. Drop the tailget when 'open' and lift and lock it when 'closed'.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Have a look on Ebay using the term Large Castors, this will show sets of 4 of the type often fitted to produce cages that you see being unloaded from tail lift equipped lorries and wheeled in to shops and the price you can pay for a set of four, they are surprisingly inexpensive

A set of four could be fixed to your table or even and old pallet. A proper set of castors will have two swiveling and two fixed and you would pull the item with a rope. Often you can get the castors in agricultural suppliers , or Machine Mart but for various reasons I can't recommend the latter.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I do have a set of castors currently on a furniture moving board. I was thinking that they would probably be of too small a diameter to roll comfortably for any distance, but they may be worth a try. They are hard plastic, and I was aiming for something with rubber tyres.

Then again supermarket trolleys have small wheels.

I was thinking of asking Homebase if I could borrow one of their "heavy stuff moving trolleys" because although they are only about a metre long they could carry the load if it was firmly strapped on.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I was thinking of ones in the larger sizes and some have rubber tyres ,pneumatic in some cases. But tonights post is to say that I see Aldi had some on Sale this Sunday the 5th for 4.99 a set. The ones they class as transport casters are 75mm diameter which I think would be a little small but could be worth a look if you are near a branch.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Thanks - interesting.

The problem I foresee with the Transport casters is that (I assume) they don't swivel so my trolley won't go round corners.

The set I have are about 75mm and have two fixed castors and two swivel castors with friction brakes.

If I could get those with rubber tyres they might be worth a try.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David