Meter put indoors?!

I just visited someone's house which was built a year or so ago on a new estate. Her meter is inside the house! My house was built in 1979, and even it has an outdoor meter box. What's more, her meter wasn't even digital?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I think most meters are 'inside' nowadays aren't they? It's the exception for them to be outside.

Reply to
Chris Green

How stupid. Outdoor boxes were a great invention, the meter reader doesn't have to get the householder in. Also makes cutting off the power easy for the fire brigade.

I've seen outdoor GAS meters on new build houses, in very flimsy brown plastic boxes on the GROUND! Won't be long before someone stands on it, trips on it, or even drives onto it when they're on the drive.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

When smart meters are more common it won't matter where they are installed.

Reply to
philipuk

The property was maybe turned into flats at some time and hence meters were put inside.

Mine is inside but the house is very old. I did ask if they might put it outside when they put a new one in some time back, but they said come the smart meters, it can be read remotely anyway. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I paid good money to have my electric meter moved outside. I certainly did not want the meter reader coming into my house.

Reply to
Broadback

Most newbuild houses have the meters in an external meter cabinet.

Reply to
ARW

I had mine moved outside when I had my cloakroom converted to a loo. It was worth the money just to watch the guys cut and splice the PILC "coax" live.

Reply to
Graham.

That's because the houses are so small there isn't room for meters indoors.

Reply to
charles

But then you've got to go outside to read it yourself. In the cold and rain. Before submitting it online.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And presumably gas meter readers are drawn from an entirely different socio-economic group.

Reply to
Graham.

No, the house hasn't been there long and they are the only owners. It has never been modified.

Where I used to live, my neighbour had a meter (and fusebox!) fitted outside, after the originals set fire to his entire roof. If only he'd listened to me when I said the bracket holding the incoming wire was loose....

Reply to
James Wilkinson

En el artículo , ARW escribió:

I had to climb up on the roof to fix the tv aerial a couple weeks ago. So-called mate at ground level shouting "Remember Rod Hull!" as I wobbled precariously on the ridge tiles. Git.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Not ENW area then. Reading their requirements for the location of cutout/meter they are supposed to be in a box on the front of the property with access not obstructed by a gate.

Meters and tails to the cutout are the responsiblity of the company you pay for electricity. The incomer, cutout and MET that of the DNO. I guess on a newbuild the DNO fits a meter when they provide the supply. If they didn't the first occupier would have to wait for their choosen supplier to get around to fitting a meter. Of course the DNO will fit the cheapest they can get...

Mechanical meters should be changed every ten years, the old ones (used to?) go back, be refurbished, recertified and given a new number. The two digits between the two letters at the start of the number are the year of certification, we have 67, 80 and 96. So much for the 10 year replacement cycle...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not IMHO. The DNO supply an electrical cut out and a double pole isolator. The supplier connects/organizes the connection of the meter to the cutout and the double pole isolator, the electrician then connects the CU tails to the DP isolator.

A couple of years ago I wired up some newbuilds in a conservation area - part of the PP requirement was that the electricity meters must NOT be in an external meter box but be internal meters. I was told that external meter boxes would look out of place! Well you have just built 5 houses on the place so WTF is the complaint about having an extenal meter cabinet?

Reply to
ARW

But many people have gates to their driveways. I assume you mean LOCKED gate.

Do they over or under read with age?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Nerdy point: the "10 year rule" is that when a *new design* of meter was approved it could not be certified *initially* for more than (for mechanical meters) 10 years. But monitoring how they work in use can result in that period being increased. There's a list at

Robin