Meter Cupboards

The doors on my exterior cupboards (enclosures) of my gas and electric meters are a bit damaged and I would like to replace them.

Does anyone know if such doors are available and if they are fairly standard? I don't want to try to replace the whole enclosure as it would mean involving the utilities to remove their meters.

Reply to
John

Have you tried asking your local leccy and gas companies if they have replacement doors? They always used to keep spare doors.

Reply to
Wanderer

I think that might be a good suggestion.

The hinge on our wheelie bin broke recently after several years use. We thought it would be a replacement wheelie bin, however we were surprised when we phoned the local council.

A chap turned up the next morning and fitted a new lid to the wheelie bin, complete with hinges. In talking to him it seems that this is his job for the local council. Amazing.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

I think there a quite a few different brands and types I'm afraid. Does yours have any manufacturer's markings? Hepworths are a pretty common one (see

- I think that's the sort we had fitted by Transco 2 or 3 years ago.

If there are no markings, it might be worth contacting Transco on the basis that they (or previously, British Gas) are the single most likely outfit to have fitted it originally, and see what they would provide by default. You might have to buy a whole unit just to get the door though (I think my box was about 80 quid if memory serves.

Can you repair the old doors instead, maybe using a fibre-glass/resin car body repair kit from Halfords? They do paint up pretty well.

hth David

Reply to
David

Our local Council Estate has lots of these doors lying around (or half off their hinges)... might find one lying around somwhere.

David Hearn

These estates are good for car parts too. Just find the car you need conveniently located in a front garden and go hunting with a screwdriver and crow bar (unless you need wheels, because they rarely seem to have these fitted).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

"PoP" wrote | The hinge on our wheelie bin broke recently after several years use. | ... A chap turned up the next morning ... Amazing.

Bloody amazing.

I'm still waiting for a replacement for a wheeliebin that was stolen six years ago.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Maybe you should phone up and say your wheelie bin has a broken lid. Then when the chap comes along to fix it you can say you left it outside for him, and some b****rd must have nicked it.

The chap that came to us had a council truck, wheelie bins on the back.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

One of our scallywag dustmen got sacked recently. A neighbour lost a bin and asked him about a replacement. He said he'd get her one, £20. True to his word he delivered one the next week. Only he'd taken it from another house further along the road.

MJ

Reply to
MJ

I just gotta laugh at that one! Talk about using your noggin to earn a living! :)

He'll be standing as a Labour MP next.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

wrote | One of our scallywag dustmen got sacked recently. A neighbour lost a | bin and asked him about a replacement. He said he'd get her one, £20. | True to his word he delivered one the next week. Only he'd taken it | from another house further along the road.

When of course he should have taken it from another house with the same number in a different street - or aren't yours numbered?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You wonder where the neighbour's original bin went in the first place....

Reply to
Bob Eager

No, not numbered. He took it from a house that has just recently been bought and occupied. It came to light when a third neighbour had conversations with them both and the subject came up in passing. He put two and two together, and the new neighbour identified her own bin.

MJ

Reply to
MJ

Identity parade? ;)