MCB -> RCBO

I've got no RCCB protection at all in my new home. (Recently built apartment)

I'm thinking of changing out the MCB for an RCBO - not a difficult job, and there's plenty of space in the CU.

But, is this a part P notifiable job?

I've looked through the part P guides but am a bit confused as it says that 'replacing' is not notifiable except in certain areas.

Hopefully, someone here can clarify.

Mark

*The* MCB? Normally there are several - one for each circuit - or were you referring to the main incoming switch?

You can replace individual circuit MCBs with RCBOs (they are combined MCB and RCD). However, each is two DIN positions as opposed to one and rather more expensive.

An alternative is to split the consumer unit and fit a 30MA RCD part way across, keeping the MCBs. Typically lighting and essential power circuits for freezers etc. are connected upstream of the RCD and circuits where portable appliances to be used outside might be connected are downstream.

Yes.

This one is.

Reply to
Andy Hall

LOL. Oops. I mean the MCB for the flat ring main.

I'm quite happy to leave the kitchen ring/lights/etc. unprotected, which doesn't actually leave very much that otherwise needs protection.

I thought of this, but there's already an off-peak supply in the CU, and I could imagine running out of bus bars if I wanted to split the supply. Besides, the only other circuit that would warrant protection is the immersion heater. A split load for 2 circuits? Well, i suppose it is an option.

Cheers. Will put a bit more thought into things before jumping in.

Mark

There are some single width ones, but these tend to be double height. Hence not all CUs are tall enough to take them.

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , Andy Hall writes

May I beg leave to ask me 'learned friend whether one DIN way one's exist as I seem to remember seeing them around????

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes they do. Depends on manufacturer. I have used those from MK and Eaton (formerly MEM).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I would not put an immersion on an RCD. If the RCD is shared its asking for trouble. And it really gains nothing in safety terms. Contrary to popular assumption its quite ok for a split immersion heater to pass the heating current straight through the water. Its very common, and no-one gets injured this way.

Those without understnading of the subject never believe it, but tis so. And it happens commonly.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

FWIW we have Four houses on whole system RCD's and only once in the last five years has an immersion heather caused a trip and that was because it was corroded quite badly.

On one place where their wasn't there was a severe overheat as the element had shorted to earth and had welded up the thermostat with it.

Consider the RCD an early warning device;)......

Reply to
tony sayer