Maximise scrap value?

I run a plumbing business and have collected a reasonable amount of scrap, now its weigh in time.

The clean copper is separate from soldered fittings (cut off), there are many bath/basin taps, brass with copper attached then the yorks/soldered fittings with solder on them.

Can the these all go together or is it best to separate further?

Reply to
Syd

Certainly well worth separating clean copper from mixed copper/brass.

I *think* copper + solder should go with the brass, but check with your local scrapper.

Reply to
Newshound

When I was plumbing I separated the copper, then the rest, taps etc went in as mixed brass.

Reply to
polly filler

Depends which police state country he is from. Never heard of such a thing in the UK

Reply to
harryagain

No it'd never happen here, or of it did, it would be bound be to somewhere darn sarf, eh?

Reply to
Andy Burns

And because you've never heard of it, it must be false.

Do you refer to the Ukraine when you say UK? 'cos it happens in Britain regularly. It's been mentioned on uk.diy several times and following the cops doing spot checks has been on done on telly as one of those "Police Stop Scream"/"Rogue Traders" things (and I don't even watch TV.)

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

in which case you haven't been listening very hard.

Transfer of waste which is not your personal property needs a licence.

Reply to
charles

It's well documented that Raoul Moat got stopped by David Rathband (RIP) for not having the "right" license who also confiscated his van. Both paid rather dearly!

Reply to
Fredxx

A plumber transporting his (the plumber's) plumbing waste is obviously somebody transfering their own property. Who else does the plumber's plumbing waste belong to? The transaction with the client includes transfers ownership of leftover rubbish to the plumber.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Lunatics....asylum

License is supposed to cover extra cost of tipping. But he won't have been tipping it, surely? So it's not waste, it's recycling. And aren't we all supposed to be doing this to reduce the landfill charge.....

Reply to
Newshound

Does it really? That's why most tradesmen don't remove the waste they have created?

Reply to
charles

Rubbish.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

MMMMmm. If it's already been designated as compost material and put in the marked receptacle (poly bag tagged "compost") for such valuable material, then it is not waste. The plumber is such carrying compostble material and by the same score reclaimed copper and brass is not waste. I'm prepared to see that proof applies in comparing law and ass.

Reply to
thirty-six

Yes poor sod .. found dead at his home earlier:(...

tony sayer

In message , thirty-six writes

When a builder or plumber brings back material immediately after working on a job, it's hard to see how it could be (at that stage) legally classified as 'waste'. However, I would certainly expect someone in those trades to have the appropriate licences in order to allow them - as a matter of course - to dispose of their commercial waste when they need to. I therefore conclude that Mr Jolly was sort-of fined pre-emptively.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Frankly he should have got a caution BUT the license is there at least to enable the police to pick up unlicensed scrap dealers who - here at least - infest the place knocking on doors and peeking around to see what scrap you will sell them, give them,. or they can remove next Wednesday night when you are down the pub etc. etc.

The real issue is why that law is being applied to a legitimate tradesman.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I got £4.67 per KG of clean copper pipe - that is to say without any brass fittings, plastic clips etc, there were soldered joints all over it and this was the maximum paid for copper so I wouldn't worry too much about solder.

Clean brass, IE with no or very little copper attatched and again free of plastics etc netted me £3 a KG and again this was the max for brass.

If you have a mixture, you'll probably get the price for 'brazey' for your brass and copper mix, not sure what price it is but it's quite a bit less than £3 per KG

These prices were 2 weeks ago.

I also got 17p a KG for iron and steel, not a lot, but I had over a tonne of it

Reply to
Phil L

----- Original Message ----- From: "The Natural Philosopher" Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 2:13 PM Subject: Re: Maximise scrap value?

Just looked back in on this thread, sorry if I missed something similar but this

to a similar case to the local one I referred to.

Reply to
MuddyMike

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

Some might suggest (cynically) that legitimate tradesmen are easier targets than illegitimate tradesmen.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Idleness and penny pinching.

Reply to