Old cast-iron guttering - scrap value?

I need to replace a house-load of knackered old post-war cast-iron
guttering/downpipes: does this have any significant scrap value, or do I
just smash it up and cart it down to the recycling centre?
There'll be about 11 metres of half-round gutters and I suppose about
10m of downpipe.
Thanks
David
Reply to
Lobster
Probably not much, but leave it outside the front of the house around here, and someone will be knocking (if you are lucky!) to ask if they can take it away or it just vanishes.
Peter
Reply to
Peter Andrews
If it's intact you'd be better selling it privately or through an architectural scrap merchant - lots of buildings are only allowed to use cast iron fittings and they're expensive.
If it's not intact take it to your scrap yard for weighing in.
Mary
Reply to
Mary Fisher
I did a house a few months ago with 3 x 25 feet of gutter, and 2 down pipes, got around £15 scrap from the dealer.(actually got around £20 for 260kg, but I had an old boiler and a few other bits to add on.) £80/tonne recently for cast scrap. Alan.
Reply to
A.Lee
If you are not worried about "value" then put it on your local Freecycle group website.
Someone may well find enough good bits to do some repairs.
The usual arrangement is for the receiver to collect , so you get to reccyle it and get it carted away as well.
Reply to
robert
ive got 4 long peices the same ,iron guttering off an old house weight a ton ,and would love to know if its worth selling but for how much ? or scrap it ?xx
Reply to
michelle campbell
> ive got 4 long peices the same ,iron guttering off an old house weight a ton > ,and would love to know if its worth selling but for how much ? 8p per kilo
Reply to
Andy Burns
Is it in good condition?
Then it may have resale value for restoration of Grade 2 or higher listed buildings if you can find the right sort of reclaimation yard to sell it to (for better that scrap metal value). If it is being replaced because it has rusted through then it is basically just scrap iron. -- Regards, Martin Brown
Reply to
Martin Brown
Judging from what I've seen on some TV programs the reclaimation yard may sell it expensively but buy it in for little more than scrap value.
Reply to
alan_m

Site Timeline Threads