Marble Hearth and wood floor

Over the wood or onto the floor ?

It's just that if I mount it on the floor, the wood floor comes quite a way up the hearth panel, and it looks better over the wood.

But doing this raises the hearth level quite a way over the existing floor of the fire back, so this would need to be raised with slate or tiles or somesuch ?

How have other people mounted theirs.

Similarly with the marble fire surround insert, does this go to the floor or sit on top of the hearth ?

Securing the marble to the wall, splodges of mortar, or screw and plug ?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Whichever looks the best

You already answered your own question then

Then it will look gash

Tiles onto the existing concrete "hearth" base then carpet or wood up to the tiles.

Seee above

If using this lot for a real fire then solid fixing is essential when the sweep comes to sort the soot. Otherwise use stiff base plaster mix, layer onto rear of marble and press into position. Retain until dry with prop.

Fekin newbie's

Reply to
R obbo

Any clues ?

My marble fire panel is still leant against the wall.

Has anyone bought one new and can quote the instructions ;-)

P.

Reply to
zymurgy

Top tip.

When waiting (in vain) for any advice from the group about marble hearth installation. Don't leave it next to the fireplace, where your girlfriend will walk upon it thinking it will bear her weight without cracking it in half.

Cheers guys.

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy