Maps.me weird happening

I was sitting in a quiet and rather posh cafeteria when my phone dinged

23 times. It had received (or generated?) 23 'notifications' from maps.me. They appeared to be all the same message but in different languages. I mentioned this to my son and he'd had the same thing.

Anyone else had this? What goes on?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Perhaps your daughter/wife/w.h.y. have been careless with their address book

Reply to
Andy Burns

How would that work?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

They install some or other app on their phone, the app requests permission to read their contacts, photos, recent calls, etc, they click "yes" to accept T&Cs,the author of the app gets your name and phone number ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's all fairly routine isn't it? But why would it cause me to get 23 notifications from maps.me?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

They want to increase their userbase, buy a list of numbers from whoever, intend to spam everyone once, f*ck up and send one in each language to everyone on the list ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Trojan.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Yes, something similar happened to me the other day - not on a phone but on a WiFi-only Android tablet.

I'd only just installed maps.me based on a recommendation from another NG, and had left WiFi and the GPS turned on when suddenly all these notifications appeared - including some in foreign languages. I cleared them and stopped the app - but didn't uninstall it - and thought no more about it until prompted by your post.

I've just turned it on again, and will see whether the same thing happens again or whether it was a one-off. If it's a regular occurrence I shall uninstall the app.

UPDATE: I've just Googled for "maps.me multiple notifications" and it seems that it's a known bug which has allegedly been fixed in the latest version. I've just updated ny app, and will wait to see what happens.

Reply to
Roger Mills

This happened to me last week, twice in one day, been ok since

Reply to
Corporal Jones

Don't know about that, but about three weeks ago a whole raft of texts came in from Vodaphone all exactly the same offer but with a completly cryptic number attached as the number to quote if you wanted the offer. On going to their audio offer thingy number, it seems that a pay as you go number as mine is cannot use said offer in any case. I blamed it on the nutter at voda, who probably had had a liquid lunck that day, and deleted them. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

I had it but I have Maps.me installed on my phone. Clearly a glitch with Maps.me ignoring user settings for language in my case.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

I though Bill was talking about SMS texts, but it seems he was actually referring to notification messages from the maps.me app on his phone?

I found a problem with the order from ebay, collect from argos system a few weeks ago. I ordered a selection of cat5 cables, in various lengths and colours, a day or two later I was in a dodgy phone signal area, and when I drove away from the site, I got the text message telling me an order was ready to collect, then a couple of minutes later I got another message, and another, I put this down to the mobile network doing duplicate SMS delivery.

When I went to argos, and quoted the collection number, the chap went round the back and brought a very small envelope, obviously containing a single cable, I looked at the phone, gave him the next number, he went and produced another envelope, I told him I'd ordered about a dozen, but he could only collect one at a time and I'd not had all the texts.

I went back the next day after receiving the remaining text messages, for some of the cables, the person bunging them in the envelopes *had* finally twigged and put two cables per bag, but really what a crap system ... free delivery!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes - last week sometime. Probably after an "update" that is/was buggy.

Reply to
Geo

Correct. I just assumed they were emails but Mr Carver explained slowly and patiently that the little things that pop up at the top of the screen are notifications, whereas the things that appear across the middle of the screen are emails or WhatsApps or whatever.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Quite impressed that a web2.0 company even knows usenet exists!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Hi Bill, Hi everyone! We're sorry for all of those notifications in different languages. Of cours e it was NOT our intention to send you all of these. Unfortunately, our in- built SDK failed somehow (worked without problem before) and as it was not our part of code we didn't manage to stop it in time. MAPS.ME team apologiz e for this situation and promise it will never happen again.

Reply to
anna

+1 - amazing...
Reply to