Makita Chick

The chuck on my 14.4v Makita combi is driving me mad. Its the black plastic covered one with a front ring that turns to lock it.

When in 'hammer' mode it constantly starts to come open.

Any suggestions for a decent replacement?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That should have been 'Chuck' :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I think a keyed chuck is the only option. I changed the chuck on my Bosch just before christmas for one of these:

is undoubtedly a better chuck than the original, but it does occasionally come loose - the bloke at the tool shop said to not bother with a keyless chuck, as they all eventually start coming loose, but I thought he was talking bollocks, but he wasnt. Screwfix do chucks now, though a limited few, on the site above there are lots of options, just make sure you know the thread size on your drill. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Thought the former sounded more interesting... perhaps she is one of those power tool models ;-)

Is this a two handed or a one handed chuck? (i.e. does the drill have an auto spindle lock?)

Reply to
John Rumm

The chucks cost more than the drill!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I bought a new cordless with a hand chuck and the first job I had for it was a stepped drill. Once I'd finished using it I couldn't get the bit out (and I can normally undo any bottle / jar with my hands).

I took it back to the shop (decent high street tool shop not shed) and offered them the task. The first bloke looked at me like 'noob' and the started on it as if he was going to undo it easily, he couldn't. They then passed it along the chain till it got to the gorilla and even he gave up. It ended up in their vice with some Stilsons and me walking away with a new key chuck fitted. ;-)

I think I still have one (cheapo) cordless with a hand chuck and I think it always undoes when in hammer mode.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I have never found the two handed counter rotating ones that satisfactory. The single handed Rohm ratchet action chuck on my combi however is superb - grips like a limpet and never comes undone. I don't think that the latest model Makitas however have been as good.

Reply to
John Rumm

Two handed, no luxury spindle lock - we is hard men in Kent :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I haven't had a chuck problem for many years, and I don't used keyed ones, but I make it a rule never to buy a drill with any plastic on the chuck.

Reply to
Bolted

Agreed.

Autolock chuck on my bosch blue drill good, autolock chucks on my bosch blue combi and the swap-in chuck on my corded sds - both superb.

The latter two make a ratcheting sound as you tighten them - 3 or 4 clicks and they hold bits that never slip, but release as easily as they lock.

Reply to
dom

Interesting. Up to now I've used exclusively my old mains keyed-chuck drill, but as I've been doing more jobs since buying my own house I'd decided to back it up with a cheapish cordless. Often it's handy to have two different bits on-stream at once (eg shank hole and pilot hole), plus for simple tasks I guess it'd be quicker to just pick up the cordless than to start reeling out extension leads etc.

Unfortunately all cheap cordless drills seem to have keyless chucks.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Just got a box set of 3 "Special Offer" from Arco Makita 14.4. £150

1 normal drill driver 1 drill, driver and hammer and 1 "Nut runner"

The but runner way Ebayed leaving enough cash for a better chuck. If you can get one of the earlier Makita ones (Off the 9.6v series) then they work well.

Dunno what they've done with the newer versions though. Mine undoes too!

Back to ARCO for a replacement I reckon

Reply to
RW

Cheap Cheap

oops that should have been cheep cheep

Reply to
Count de Monet

Popped into my mates hire shop this morning with the offending Makita..

TMH; "This chuck keeps undoing when on hammer". HSM; "Yeah, they all do that".

10 mins & £25 later a new metal chuck which works a treat. Chalk & cheese.

Since the drill was a freebie I musn't grumble.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Never mind the Makita chick, check out the Gripfill chicks at

dg

Reply to
dg