Making a hole in a wall for a pipe

I have discovered another of the great DIY achievements of the previous occupants of this house : the upstairs sink drain.

40mm, down, through the wall, plug into the main downpipe outside.

Except they've used the wrong sort of pipe, because it's died where it comes out of the wall, which means I need to replace it.

Nice thick stone walls - say 3 foot. Though obviously there's a hole for the pipe already, with some damp cement at both ends. There's plenty of space for a drill on the outside, possibly on the inside too.

So:

How would people go about recreating the hole to put a new pipe in?

What sort of pipe should I use to replace it? (what sort was there before - ie what dies in UV?)

Reply to
Clive George

Don't think you can get UV stable waste pipe. You are supposed to paint it...

As for the hole if your thick stone walls are anything like ours the pipe will only be mortared/plastered in each end. Hack that away and the old pipe will pull out and new one go in.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I thought there was plenty of 40mm UV stable waste pipe which did not require painting. I bought some Hunter Plastic

but I think I've also seen stuff in Wickes

Reply to
Robin

I think it's only the polypropylene push-fit stuff that's not UV stable. PVC and ABS (solvent weld) both have good UV resistance and are OK out in the sun, AFAIK.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Just to add insult to injury, its probably worth noting that the actual diameters of the pipe vary a little. So if the OP is particularly unlucky the hole may not fit the replacement pipe.

I note the SF claim their ABS (solvent weld) needs painting for protection as well...

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm not feeling terribly lucky at the moment - the pipe in the wall appears to be distorted. It's not just mortar round it...

Reply to
Clive George

Random pre-coffee musings:

If all else fails, can you feed a smaller-diameter pipe through the damaged one? Yes, I know it'll restrict the flow somewhat - but if it's only the drain from a single sink then maybe it's not a problem (assuming that suitable adapters exist to take it back out to a more useful diameter either end too, of course)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson