Mains electricty to Garage

I need to put electricity to my garage. I plan to run 2.5mm^2 through conduit from the main consumer board(30AMCB) to a 2 way consumer board (power with RCD and light) with 2.5mm ring for power and 1mm for lighting. Is this a suitable way of doing it or have I missed something.
Cheers
Russ

Russ,
If it is a long cable run your limiting factor may be voltage drop if you have any significant load (compressor etc) in the garage. It may be necessary to go to a heavier cable if it is 100 foot or more
Andrew Mawson
(who had to run 10 mm to his workshop - but then it does have a 13.5 Kw kiln in it <G>)
Depends on what current you are going to draw from garage sockets/lights but should be OK. Cable must be protected on route to garage, SWA may be better .Also strictly speaking the earth of the TE cable should be connected in the house but not terminated in the garage, a separate earth rod used local to the remote ccu.

2.5mm is rated at 24 amps (a 30A MCB is OK for a ring as it has both sides of the ring to carry the load), I'd suggest using 4 or 6mm for a single run.

No it isn't. You can't normally run a 30A radial in 2.5mm cable. The important things we need to establish is how far the cable run from the garage is from the CU. We also need to know how earthing will be achieved. How close is the garage to the house? Does it have any services (i.e water/gas)? Does it have any metal in its construction?
Christian.

Better to have a 3-way in case you want a freezer in the garage which is not on the RCD.
Mungo