loft insulation price check

Had a loft insulation survey done this morning, 4-bed house plus side walls of attic bedroom, three hatches, two tanks. It came to using roughly 55m of 200mm insulation material to top up existing insulation. The quote is for 255 pounds and that includes a 40% from my energy supplier.

Does that sound reasonable or should I seek out further quotations from suppliers not subcontracted by my energy supplier (Scott Power btw).

Fred

Reply to
Fred

What's the existing insulation? How long do you plan to stay in the property? What's your annual heating bill? How much of the house heat is lost through the roof.

It may not be economically worth insulating. Especially if yours is an older structure, where though the roof has far less than currently recommended levels, there isn't much point, as most of the heat goes out the walls.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Old house, no cavity insulation. Existing is virtually nothing (5mm very old and flat). We plan to stay a while, annual heating bill is unknown as we recently moved in. How much heat loss is not for us to tell, with it being a terrace, I expect that windows and roof account for most of the heat loss. The attic bedroom is totally exposed, hence, only barely habitable without some form of insulation that keeps out the cold - the radiator can only do so much.

Fred

Reply to
Fred