Loft Insulation - Best Type and Tips for Installation

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:21:08 +0100, "L Reid"

Nice places. What is the background to their being referred to as Colonies?
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I'm actually not sure! I've managed to dig up quite a lot of history about these buildings, and it does make an interesting read, though no where does it state why they're called 'colonies'. I believe there's something similar in Dublin? The majority of the colony developments in edinburgh were done by the Edinburgh Co-operative Building Company, which was basically a conglomerate of lower middle tradesmen (stonemason's etc) that got together to build decent houses for themselves and their families, with their own gardens.
If I find some links I'll post 'em, as their history is interesting reading (but probably moreso if you're living in them!).
Leigh

If the roof is coming off it is best to fit a warm roof and be done with it.