Loft Insulation

Now, I have agreed with some organization, that they will insulate my loft, credit of British Gas, something to do with energy conservation. Being 'elderly enough' , it should be free of cost (age brings some benefits; but not many)/

Anyway, There are problems in my loft. Hundreds of years ago, tens anyway, we had some such thing done, and THEY left, as I suppose, the previous 'expanded polystyrene'(?) blocks in the loft. What to do with them? The 'surveyor, whom they sent round, suggested pilling these blocks, of which there are many, in a heap somewhere. Is that a good idea? After all, expanded polystyrene may be a fire hazard. Plus, the base of such a heap cannot be protected by the new insulation, one might think). What to do with it (there is a lot of it)? There is nothing but the wooden joists to walk upon and, at my age, I'm not so sure that I'm able to not fall through the ceiling - a bad idea. Will the council take this stuff away, even supposing I can get it down?

By the way, there seems to be a large 'hole' in the 'party wall up there' which cannot be seen because someone has created a 'wall' of those polystyrene blocks, hiding it. Should there be such a 'hole'?

Comments?

GOG

Reply to
gordon grant

"gordon grant" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk...

[...]

polystyrene: I think they're a firehazard and should go.

Take a bit into the garden and test it - poisonous smoke and dropping globs of fire downwards?

I too have a gap in the attic partywall, good for ventilation drying out the roof bad for security and fires.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

gordon grant formulated on Sunday :

Most likely the polystyrene will be the flammable type and needs to be got out and disposed of ASAP. Could you not get some help to do this?

Party walls are there to prevent the spread of fire, though not all properties were built or had to originally be built with them.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield