Light use SDS drill

Having sung the praises of an SDS drill to a friend who is doing a house refurb., I now find he is heading off to buy a Titan one from Screwfix

the basis that I bought a Lidl's one some years back and found it adequate for my purposes (shed building), is the Titan going to be OK for doing cable chases as well as the holes he will want to drill in concrete ?

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I had a Homebase one which was probably from the same factory as other cheap SDS drills. It was fine for ages but I killed it doing non stop chiselling - I suspect that the motor was fine but the cooling not up to scratch. I replaced it with a Wickes/Kress (£150 at the time) which I passed on when I emigrated having done huge amounts of drilling, chasing etc.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

> On the basis that I bought a Lidl's one some years back and found it

Depends a bit on whether you can lock off the chisel at a rotation of your choosing or failing that at least a fixed position. Doing chases with a bit that wanders round to angles that suits itself is a PITA!

He could grab one of these while on special offer:

excellent control, will last for ever.

Reply to
John Rumm

Got one of they, excellent tool prolly the best I've ever bought:))..

Reply to
tony sayer

Got one of these, absolutely bl...dy fantastic. R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

I don't know how good the Titan is, but I recommend the Wickes (Kress) SDS drill. I've used one to demolish a building, and recently to cut through clay to install two inspection chambers for a drain. I've owned it for ten years and it has outlasted three cheap nuTool SDS drills by about ten years minus three weeks.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yup, got one as well - that was why I recommended it.

Reply to
John Rumm

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D\

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/

Thanks for all your comments guys - I've given the link to this to my friend and will leave it now up to his judgement.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Do point out the weight thingie if he knows what he'll use it for. For drilling the odd hole it doesn't much matter. For breaking up concrete paths or whatever a heavy one could be an advantage. But if chasing walls, you'll regret getting a heavy one very soon.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember TheOldFellow saying something like:

+1 Recommended.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

That depends on the walls:-)

I've worked on some that my 2kg DeWalt will not touch.

Reply to
ARWadsworth