Light switch with built in timer - convert to flourescent ?

I've got to replace a light in the kitchen, 100W incandescent, with a flourescent tube. Currently the switch to the light is a nifty combined timer/switch. Bought at B&Q a few years ago. It's made by Kingshield (Couldn't find a link). It uses the bulb to complete the circuit and power the clock/timer. It can be set to work just as a switch, or to come on and off at set times.

I'm loath to lose the timer functionality, but can anyone suggest a way of getting it to work with a flourescent. My initial thought is to use a 240V relay to switch the flourescent, and use the switch to work the relay. Because the relay will pass a small current, the switch will stay powered.

Good idea ? Bad idea ? Or is there a better way ?

FWIW, it's a little galling that with the immenent demise of incandescent bulbs, and CFLs appearing everywhere, there is still little support for them wrt to dimmers, timers, switches etc .....

Reply to
Jethro

Sounds like a nifty idea, if you can find a relay that will pass enough quiescent current to power the electronics and not switch until you want it to. Might be worth measuring the current draw of the switch when open.

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't know if it is a better way, but an easier way is to buy a new switch:) Sainsbury's sell some that work with fluorescents (made by Smith's I think), though I don't know if they have the exact same functionality.

Reply to
Phil Hughes

Meant Homebase:)

Reply to
Phil Hughes

In message , Jethro writes

ols/index.html (with the fluorescent light adapter)

Reply to
robert

This did the trick perfectly ! And it was small enough to tuck inside the housing - I was well made up. Many thanks.

Reply to
Jethro