Light bulbs to be taxed

The tax will of course achieve the exact opposite, as govt interference often does. If lighting becomes expensive, shops will keep all the ads on because they generate enough revenue to justify the spend, whereas any lights in otherwise dark areas will be switched off. It'll be 25w in the loos, and darkness in the alleyways and carparks.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Indeed.

Driving conditions to London are better than to Norway, though.......

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

I tihnk people would rather just whine.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Good heavens no! It'll only be the powerless proles like us who will get taxed. The large corps. and vested interests (think: party funding) won't have to pay a penny, in case it hurts their "competitiveness".

Don't forget, this is only meant to be a token gesture to look as if something's being done. Even reducing our CO2 levels to those of North Korea won't make a blind bit of difference on a global scale.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

I was once told that fluorescent tubes use the same amount of power during start-up as they do in 45mins normal running time. In other words, in power terms it's not worth switching on or off a fluorescent tube unless it will be on/off for at least 45 minutes. Does this apply to CFL's too? How much power do they consume before they're up to full output?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

For a 3 second startup time and a 60w tube, ignoring ballast losses, to meet that claim the starting power would need to be 45 x 60 / 3 x 60w =

54kW (around 200A per tube). Coincidentally, more power than rotates a turning bridge.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Given the savings they are claimed to produce is based on a lie, why not?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 23:20:21 -0000 someone who may be "Andy" wrote this:-

No need to hang around waiting for lamps to warm up in several small toilets that I frequent.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 08:30:03 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote this:-

It is interesting that much the same group of people moan about new innovations and instead want to take us back to the 1960s (nuclear power stations, incandescent lamps, etc). All these new innovations are supposedly fraudulent, according to the moaners.

Reply to
David Hansen

That would be by the same people that say you use more energy to heat a house up in the morning than you do if you leave the heating on all night?

I suggest you learn some basic physics so you can ignore them.

Reply to
dennis

I was moaning about effectively fraudulent claims which do no good to the 'cause' in the long run. All they do is give fuel to the above.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well there is that, but the scenery's a lot better when you get there - people are more agreeable as well :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

What's an old innovation? :-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I was told that by an electrician back in the 70's and never felt the need to question it. You could try enlightening me yourself though, instead of being patronising - how DO you work out how much energy a fluorescent fitting uses during start up? It seems to me quite possible, based upon my obviously extremely limited knowledge in these things, that an incandescent lamp turned on for a brief look in a cupboard could conceivably use less energy than a fl lamp.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Recommended but expensive, sadly....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Guy King typed

Me, sometimes I need no light in the loo but sometimes I need good light in the same bathroom.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Is 45 minutes a brief look?

Yes it is better to use incandesent lamps if you only use them for a minute or two. Not because they save power but because you don't have to wait for them to warm up.

You shouldn't really believe everything electricians tell you. Generaly they are no cleverer than anyone else, they just know how to wire some electrical circuits. They seldom know how the things actually work.

Reply to
dennis

So what's the answer then Dennis?

Reply to
Peter Taylor

The scenery visible through my living room window is incomparable! But someday, I'd like to visit Norway. When I'm in London, I'm visiting family, and they're all very agreeable.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

You're missing the point. It's not that I'm moaning or whining - like I said earlier, I consider myself to be reasonably eco-friendly but my eyes are going a bit faulty and I just can't see properly or as well as with an ordinary 100W incandescent lamp when using these bloody awful CFLs. They just don't work for me at all.

Ev.

Reply to
Ev