LED Torch @ Morrisons

FYI

Morrisons petrol stations have some really nice little aluminium body LED torches for £2.99 inc 3 AAA batteries.

Three LED's and a lens, really bright, sends a beam a pretty reasonable distance.

I didn't need another torch, but I bought one anyway. You can never have too many torches IMO.

I like torches.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I like these torches better:

Bruce

Proved invaluable when the Microwave was tripping out the RCD recently as I haven't fixed the garage light. :¬)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

In article , The Medway Handyman writes

Head torches?

of stock for now but I'm liking it, got one for the car and one for the toolbox.

is the base code for when it's not on special but it often is.

Reply to
fred

They are excellent. With 19 LEDs, not only do you get twice the light output of the 9 LED version, but the body of the torch is better made, with a rubberised handgrip. Highly recommended.

The 9 LED version is available singly:

in packs of 2:
's also a 14 LED version:

Bruce

My brother has an excellent one which is rectangular in section and hence doesn't roll when laid down. Rubber case and the light on one side. Don't know where he got it from sadly.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I have a few, actualy maybe 20, They are comming from China by the boatload and are 1.50 US here with 3 batteries, but more Leds dont mean more light, this group of chinese lights is maxed out at maybe 8 Leds, for 19 Leds you really need double the voltage, I have them from

3- 19 led and gave alot away as gifts. Shop at your large hardware store you will find them cheap, the real bright ones are 3-5 watt look for a rating on the package, one 5 watt led is 5x brighter than a 6-19 Led with 3 aaa batteries. Here Home Depot has the best price. 5, 9 led lights and 15 batteries for 15$ US.
Reply to
ransley

A touch more expensive, but I really like

Chris J Dixon

Not if they are wired in parallel.

19 vs. 9 LEDs gives twice the illumination but half the battery life. I can live with that.
Reply to
Bruce

I have bought a couple of nice head lights (for strapping to your head) from here.

don't seem to have them in stock at the moment, but they have some other good stuff.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Decker

An interesting choice of words, it's 6 times the price :-!

I'm sure it's not a great work of art but it's doing the job for me.

I forgot to mention it can be switched between 4, 8 and 12 led operation to save the battery, I haven't had to use it above 4 yet.

Reply to
fred

I have never worked out why I would need to strap a torch to my head.

I see the things on sale and wonder who on earth buys them, and what on earth for?

Reply to
Bruce

When I take the wheelie bin down to the road on a moonless, overcast night in winter, I use a headlight. There are no streetlights nearby, and the neighbours are not close enough to provide any light.

My husband uses a headlight when working on awkward bits of computer equipment, as it points the light exactly where he's looking, and leaves his hands free.

They're also useful for seeing what you're doing if you need to work in the crawlspace under the ground floor.

Reply to
S Viemeister

You have never worked in a cellar on a CU of wired the lights up in a loft then.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

- Going out to shut the chickens in their coop when it's dark (keep both hands free for opening gates, carrying food bowls etc

- Seeing the ignition timing marks on my Moggy Traveller (which design genius decided that they should be _under_ the car, tucked up behind the radiator ??)

- Fixing the plumbing in dark corners of the loft

- Trotting down to the polytunnel in the dark to get some herbs for supper

They're amazingly useful, really !

Adrian - West Cork, Ireland

Reply to
Adrian

I have, and I had no need of a strap on head light.

Reply to
Bruce

Nor have I, but holding a torch in your mouth gets tiring.

I think it might be useful for painting, especially white on white ceilings. Unless the light's at a particular angle you can't see the wet edge. Then again, you might spend all your time adjusting the bloody thing

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Ideal for grovelling about under sinks, baths etc so you can see what you are trying to undo - do up & LED's give a fantastic illumination to any drips - they glisten.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Cos they illuminate the area you are looking at.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They also provide glare that comes straight back in your eyes!

I much prefer lighting from a torch; it's usually a trivial job to prop it so it illuminates what you need. But it's a matter of personal preference, and we're all different.

Reply to
Bruce