Laying Hardwood laminate

Hi all. I will be laying a hardwood laminate some time this week. Of the 2 sides from which to start (either side of the only window) The wall opposite the door has an alcove, a radiator on a chimney breast and built in wardrobe which is protrudes from the other alcove. So it has 3 'starting points' if I choose to begin on that side.

Q1 Is beginning on the door side the right option?

On another point. I will be laying the boards under the skirting and under the door architrave. However, most 'how to lay laminate flooring..' web sites state that there should be only a 10mm expansion gap. (They never seem to make allowance for the length of the room) The door is the usual width so by my calculations there only need a exp. gap of about 1.5mm.

Q2 1.5mm at most or even less?

Thanks.

Arthur

PS. It occurs to me that when web sites state the 10mm rule they are deliberately ignoring the length of the room to persuade us to buy the spacers.

Reply to
Arthur 51

Whichever wall has the flatest starting point ie work towards the chimney breast wall.

Reply to
George