Lattice fence above brick wall

I want to install a wooden lattice fence on top of a brick wall. The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long. What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

What do you mean by "damage"? If you are excluding using wall plugs to fix uprights on one side, I suppose you could fabricate a structure that supports a vertical batten on each side that then holds the fence upright

F F F BFFFB BWWB BWWB BWWB BWWB WW

Reply to
newshound

Resin fixing will avoid expansion force

Reply to
Steve Walker

Or Multi Monties/Montys.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I meant something like drilling vertically through the wall to install an upright in the middle of the wall - I'd be worried that that might pull the wall down in a gale.

My thought had been to do exactly what you suggest, attach wooden uprights to my side of the wall.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

I'm afraid I didn't follow this. What exactly is "resin fixing", and what would I be fixing?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Sorry, what are these?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

fixings. Drill through timber into brick, no plug, no expansion, drive straight in with drill driver. Easier to pull a sailor off your sister than pull one out.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I think we are assuming you will be fixing timber uprights to your side of the wall?

Read the reviews here for info

OTT for your job IMO. Steve was saying though, that normal plugs, which expand, can cause bricks to crack, especially near edges.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks for both your explanations. These look useful; I'd never heard of them.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Multi Monti's are brilliant, plus you can put them quite close to the edge of brick or stonework. You must use exactly the right size masonry drill though; it's easy to drill too large and then you have no grip.

But if you are asking whether the fence could pull the wall down in a wind, you need to say if it is single or double brick, whether there are piers, how high the fence needs to be, how exposed is the site, and how "open" is the lattice.

If you are trying to mount (say) 500 mm on top of a double brick wall you might get away with bits of rebar set into vertical holes. If you are after

2 m high lattice on a single skin wall you'd better mount it off (say) 75 mm square posts set into the ground (metposts?)
Reply to
newshound

It's a strong double brick wall with piers. I think I'd like the lattice to be about 1m high (above the wall). I think I'll attach 4in posts to my side of the wall to hold the lattice.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy