Lasrejet toner up the duff? Or summat else..

My Laserjet 6P has developed a rather faint print..especially at te left hand edge..and seems to be having some sort of double vision..extra black text has a faint shadow about 1mm to the right of the actual print..

before I stump up ££££ on a new toner cartridge - and this one is fairly new.. is it summat else? Fuser? Not that I really know what that is or how to change it..

Cam.misc respondees please crosspost to UK.D-I-Y since clara net is still borked as far as cam.misc goes..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It doesn't sound like toner to me although faint images is a sign that toner is running low. How many pages since the toner pack was last changed? Sounds more like something else where a roller is picking up and moving things around in a way that it should not. Try removing the toner cartridege and giving it a shake and replacing it. See if that alters the print. From memory there are some corona wires on a 6P that can be cleaned. I don't think there is a separate waste toner pack that is full.

At the risk of stating the obvious have you tried the troubleshooting section of the manual or googled the symptoms?

Reply to
hzatph

Yeah..well the story so far is..

I removed the toner and cleaned the drum and dropped carbon all over the carpet.. its been one of those days.

That got the intensity back, but the image is still double.. I googled and came across a handy tip..if you open the case with a page half fed from the manual feed tray, and pull it out, if its good, the toner is good and the fuser is the problem.

My pages were double right from the word go, so the its the toner drum cartridge thats wonky,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fuser problems on HP Laserjets usually appear as repeat ghosts of the proper image vertically, every few cm. ( eg 75mm ) ( exact number of cm depends on the exact printer model, since the diameter of the rollers varies. HP service manuals give a table to look up the vertical repeat distance vs. what's screwed and needs replaced.)

Ghosts to the left or right are not typical of fuser problems.

The test you mention pulls the un-fixed page out of the printer before it gets to the fuser to prove this. If the page is good before the fuser, but bad after, then it's the fuser that's had it.

You have already determined it's not the fuser, so I'd replace the toner cartridge as a first step.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

How old is the cartridge. I noted recently there is a 6 year use-before recommendation, at least on 4P ones.

rusty.

Reply to
rusty

yeah..well..I got it about three years ago I think.

Never mind. Pretty sure a new one will cure it..its at least got a bit darker..even if the ghosts are still there.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I expect everyone knows this already, but

Gwydir Street are very helpful and good value for Laserjet cartridges. I just had to buy one for a friend and they charged =A325 versus the =A370 it would have cost for a new HP one in Staples, They deliver too.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Mc