LAN

does any body know how to create a wireless lan as i have the belkin, wifi adaptor (USB) i have been able to create a peer to peer network but nothing more. i would like to make it so we can file share ect.

thanks

Jeff

Reply to
Chaosjeff

What version of windows are you running (XP Home/Pro/etc...)

Do you have a router, or just two pc's with wireless?

How do you connect to the internet, and do you want to share this connection?

How many users do you have on each Pc, or does everyone just use the same login (If the pc just goes straight to the desktop when you turn it on, without you having to either select a user or type in a username and password, then you just have one user)

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

In article , Chaosjeff writes

You need to set it in ad-hoc mode where the thing acts as an air point that other machines can connect to.

Peer to peer is like we have where we link to LAN's together over some three miles with suitable hi-gain aerials and those you can't log onto as such.

Presume you just want to share an Internet connection around your gaff.

Presume also that you do have another wireless point somewhere?...

Reply to
tony sayer

i am running XP as are most of the people here, we connect to the internet through the college's wireless network, so every body has wireless, but no router.

on my pc, i have one user which is passworded. but i dont know about other people who want in

jeff

Reply to
Chaosjeff

well everybody with an connection can go on the internet so it isnt that big of a thing. but i though you need a router to create an 'ad-hoc' network? its mainly so we can play lan computer games, it works in peer to peer mode but i heard you can get more that one perosn on a network.

jeff Mc

Reply to
Chaosjeff

As far as I know,college's will not allow file sharing on their network? so you could be in trouble with the college for trying to set it up. I know this via my cousin who asked me the same question only to find out it wasn't allowed. Whether all colleges have the same restrictions I don't know?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

i am not trying to use the college's network to set it up im trying to find out if we can do it by ourselves using out wireless internet adaptors

Jeff

Reply to
Chaosjeff

Then yes its still possible but someone will need a wireless router attached to the comp/laptop and all wireless connections go through that,without the need of connection to the internet.I do know you need to make an account on the main computer for all would be connections that want to join the LAN.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

In article , Chaosjeff writes

Very much suspect that there is a router somewhere on their network...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Chaosjeff writes

Are you using this on some sort of college type network>,,

No ad hoc is just that a collective ad-hoc's ;)

Might be a terminology thing peer to per is sometimes or from what I've seen of it, LAN to LAN

Yes...

Reply to
tony sayer

The internet access you have is presumably being provided by the college using their routers, internet connection and ISP. Depending on how they have set things up there is also a fair chance that you will each be able to "see" each other via the colleges infrastructure (although do not be surprised if they have blocked all the ports that you will require access to for peer to peer file sharing and most online gaming).

You would probably be able to get each PC to see the others by setting up an ad-hoc network as Tony says. However you may find it simpler if someone installed a Wireless Access Point (WAP) or router and you all connected to that - it is simpler to setup and administrate. It also gives you the option of adding your own independent internet access later if required. Beware that there are serious security implications for the college if you connect to both networks at the same time and also have your own internet connection.

You can, but in ad-hoc mode you may find yourself needing to make multiple connections (one for each of the machines you want to communicate with) rather than a single connection to a WAP (note that some wireless cards will come with software that will enable you to set one PC to act as a WAP)

Reply to
John Rumm

From your replies to other suggestions.

You need to set up one PC to act as a bridge. This PC will need a wireless adaptor to attach to the college's wireless network and a LAN adaptor plugged into your own wireless router[*]. Then set the PC up to bridge to two adaptors (wireless and cabled) - you do this in Network Connections by selecting the connections you want to bridge.

Basically:

Wireless-->[Wireless connection--PC--LAN--Local Router]-->Wireless ^College ^ Your Bridge PC ^Friends

Once this is done, you will have a private wireless network that you can share by giving your friend the appropriate IP address[*] / WEP keys and allowing their MAC addresses on the Wireless router.

* Ensure that you do not use the same address range as the college for your private network otherwise their will be a lot of upset students and network administrators, so if their wireless router is 192.xxx.xxx.xxx use one of the other private address ranges (say 10.xxx.xxx.xxx), but check before setting the range.

Richard Web pages:

- caravanning,
- personal web site and
I loves the domain name for email.

Reply to
Richard Cole

thanks

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Mc

Okay, there are three ways of going about this...

1 - Use the college's network. if it is allowed, and ALL the PC that are sharing files are windows XP PRO (not home), Windows 2000 or windows NT, then this is the way to go, mainly because you will probably be able to share files with each other wherever anyone is on the campus, as long as they are connected to the college network. On the PC's that are going to be sharing files, create user accounts, with passwords, for everyone who needs to access the shared files - if you use the same username and passwords they use to log onto there PC's, then they won't be prompted for a username and password when they try to connect to the shared resource. You can also setup per user permissions, so, for example, all users can read the folder, but only certain users can write to it or delete files in it.

2 - Ad-Hoc mode. This limits the range, so only PC's near each other can share files, this will be more secure, but, when you are connected to each other, you will loose internet access, unless one of the PC's is connected to the college network as well as your ad-hoc network, and they have bridged the two networks together.

3 - Use your own router. This is the best option really, get a CABLE router (Not an ADSL one) then connect the WAN port of this to the college network (assuming they provide a hard wired socket - if not, you need a wireless bridge (sometimes called a wireless gaming adaptor) On this router, setup an SSID different to that of the college network, and also setup an encryption key (WPA-PSK preferably, if all users support it)

Depending on how or if the college authenticate you, you may need to either register the routers MAC address with the college, or change it to a mac address that is already registered (if the college make you register or you have to log in to access the internet, then whoever's account is used for this will be liable if anyone on your private network does anything dodgy on the internet.

Hope this helps!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks