Lan tractor help needed !

Hi,

My lawn tractor (Ariens with 15HP Briggs & Stratton gasoline engine)ran out of fuel two weeks ago and immediately it wouldn't start. It was working very well until that. I refueled it within 30 min but was unable to start it. It does start when I spray some starting spray into air filter duct, but then it dies right away.

In the last two weeks I checked the fuel pump (works, spews fuel when I crank the engine), changed spark plug, took apart the carburetor as much as I could and sprayed everything inside it with carb cleaner spray. The choke and throttle appear to move freely, the carburetor bowl is about 1/2 full of gasoline, the passage from bowl into carburetor is clear. I also sprayed cleaning spray into all little holes and orifices that I saw inside carburetor. Nevertheless, it won't start.

When I put my hand over exhaust and intake holes in the air filter mounting bracket, I can feel the air move, so there seems to be the right action to suck the fuel mixture in.

So, what else could it be ? At this point, I assume that there's either a blockage somewhere inside the carburetor body, that I was unable to find, or the engine valve may be stuck in closed position (although I can start it by spraying starting spray into the air filter duct, does it deliver the mix inside the engine bypassing the valve ?)

How hard is it to open the valve up and check for blockage ? Do I need any special tools or skills ?

Sorry for a lengthy message. Hope someone can help !

Reply to
Amamba

Make sure the vent hole in your gas cap is open.

Reply to
Bob S.

engine)ran

Did you drain the gas and install a new fuel filter like someone suggested?

When you took the carb apart, you didn't disturb the mixture screws, did you?

Reply to
Rick

Amamba,

OK, the fuel pump works and gas is definitely being delivered to the carb. The ignition system is delivering spark to the engine, also. Time to get a rebuild kit and rebuild the carb. During the rebuild give every orifice a good squirt of carb cleaner. Soaking the carb in gas overnight also may help to clean the carb. After the rebuild you will need to adjust the various needle valves. This is usually discussed in the instruction sheet included in the rebuild kit. If you're uncomfortable with adjusting the carb's needle valves or the grass is getting really high take it into a shop but I think you'll find that this is not hard so long as you work meticulously and in an area where you don't lose dropped parts. Some of the screws are pretty small and there is always a spring that wants to get lost.

Good luck, Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Ended up being a faulty fuel solenoid wire. At least that's what I was told by the dealer. Kind of hard to imagine why it would stop working when it ran out of gas, not sooner or later. But, it's back and working again.

Reply to
Amamba