KVM over cat 5 or similar

Got a new computer for xmyth, and the plan is to share it with the GF,

problem is i have it set up as a bus and train driving simulator, desk with loads of driving type controls attatched to it, she plays games like battle field 3, call of duty etc, so needs a clear desk to thrash the mouse about wildly.

So i figured i'd have the computer on my desk (already have a holder for the tower case on the side of the desk) i'd use 2 accounts on the computer, and run wires to her computer desk which will have her monitor, keyboard and mouse on it, and when her account is selected at start up, the video signal goes to her monitor, mouse and keyboard will be usb, and i think i can get audio over usb too... she uses headphones anyway.

At the moment the cable run would be about 10 meters, but eventually my driving desk will be going upstairs, then the cable length would be around

15 or so meters depending on how i can run it thru the celing.

Her monitor can only take DVI or vga inputs (no hdmi) gpu is an ATI Radeon HD 5870 if it helps.

Heard on here about running video and usb over cat 5 or 6 cables, usually for much longer runs, but i was wondering if anyone can recomend something that will do what i want, cheaply if possible.

Reply to
Gazz

If you have the right operating system (Linux or Windows Multipoint Server) then GF could have a terminal and access her account on the computer simultaneously. Some types of terminal can connect with USB, most are ethernet.

clients can be picked up for peanuts on ebay

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Absolutely, *ahem* hows about 'get a life' instead of playing games? Live in the real world, see how it goes, you just might like it. Y'know, talking to real people, a touch cheaper too. Jesus christ o'reilly. Kill me now.

Reply to
brass monkey

I've seen StarTech KVM extenders used successfully for Keyboard Mouse VGA, and stereo audio. You will need two CAT 5 runs to have enough pairs to do that. Thinking about it, the application that was in use was probably only using a screen res of 800 x 600, you are going to demand a much higher resolution for your games, and I'm dubious if a twisted pair will deliver that without a bit of smearing.

Reply to
Graham.

My thoughts were at least get married first, THEN go playing games in separate rooms like everyone else, but I managed to resist...

Reply to
Graham.

I despair, I really do. Maybe I'm just too old a fart.

Reply to
brass monkey

Is that a girlfriend you really want?

Audio will stretch.

Buy her the same computer.

That should be worth a couple of shags

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On the principle she's got a separate monitor, keyboard, mouse, desk, etc, why not just get her a 2nd hand PC of her own? Computer hardware a year or two old should be good enough to play the games while costing buttons.

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

She isn't going to get to play those games one a shared machine running windows or linux, not with current tech anyway. They are the sort of games that are pushing the hardware envelope and making people want faster windows PCs.

Reply to
dennis

DVI is HDMI without the audio and you can get DVI to HDMI cables. You can push HDMI/DVI down a 15 m cable without much of a problem. The mouse, etc can go down a series of 5m active USB extensions and a powered hub at the end.

You can get an idea of what is available here

dennis

Bottle of wine, take the heating up to 25 deg C, light a few candles, have some massage oil handy and a thick blanket for the desk. You might want to use cotton cord instead of data wiring as it's a little kinder and easier to undo. Use a long play piece of music that she already knows and enjoys, don't use the radio.

Reply to
thirty-six

I think the computer should go on her desk.

If she's playing the kind of games that need a wild thrashing they'll be wrecked by slow video performance. Trains and buses on the the hand will be a lot less affected by the odd 10mS delay.

Can't recommend a particular KVM. Only thing we use is some corporate-aimed multi-head for driving lots of servers in racks, and only occasionally.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ