Kitchen waste disposal units

I thought these never really caught on in UK, I don't know anyone who has one and don't see them advertised.

But am I wrong?

Does anyone here have one and is it worth having?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes (my excuse is it was reduced from GBP90 to GBP3 in the final moments of a closing down sale).

No, not even at GBP3. I've had to dismantle the drain several times as SHWRNOTGSWBMTDISIN (She who will remain nameless on the grounds she will beat me to death if she is named) feeds it potato peelings which it eats and blocks the drain with. Noisy useless device (the waste disposal that is).

Reply to
Peter Parry

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:58:05 +0100 someone who may be "Mary Fisher" wrote this:-

They are available and some people have them. The thing to remember is not to use a bottle trap with them, the slurry will block it more easily.

Tut, tut. Someone with their own solar panel who wants to use electricity to grind up vegetable matter:-)

A far better alternative is to employ some worms to deal with this sort of kitchen waste, they can live happily in the kitchen in a wormery

and they are cheaper as well. Hours of fun and education, especially for children.

Reply to
David Hansen

We have had one for 20 years and could not do without it. As they seem fairly common in decent plumbers merchants, I assume there is a market for them.

Reply to
EricP

The one I have in my house (it was there when I bought it) gets blocked and cuts out all the time. It is VERY diy unfriendly and I am going to get rid of it at the first opportunity.More trouble than its worth

Reply to
nigmyk

No, it was a post on another ng which made me even think about them. I don't want one! No waste ... :-)

No children these days, thank goodness. Even grandchildren can find plenty of other things to amuse them in this house. But I agree, wormeries are good. And no annual licence to buy ...

All vegetable waste which can't be fed to the hens goes in the compost bins. Too tight fisted to buy the 'real' stuff :-)

I'll send the post which inspired me separately. It's not for the squeamish.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I've had 3.. The first was a tweeny and was very good.

When we had the kitchen re-done, rather than search out a new fitting kit for the tweeny the plumber fitted a little one he had in the back of his van, that one was feeble and useless. Later I replaced it with a large insinkerator, that works fine.

You need to get the most powerful one in the range, preferably one that auto reverses evry time you turn it on.

There are some things they won't handle at all, such as uncooked skin, especially fish, and anything that can swell up in contact with water such as commercial breadcrumbs. A 3lb bag of that set like concrete inside 2-3 feet of my drain. :(

Not running enough water from the beginning can cause that. As can having a very tortuous drain, or not enough fall.

We've got used to ours, and reckon it saves energy by not having to open the door as much in winter to take stuff out to the bin. not having a bin full of organic rubbish in the kitchen must have a hygeine benefit.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Good grief. And it was you who were responsible for item 1 in . Some people never learn:-)

Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey