Kitchen extractors - vented or recirculating?

Page 2 of 2

Andy Hall wrote:

No chance! Built in 1951-ish under Building Control Licence conditions. As I understand it this means built under what amounted to wartime rationing conditions with the cheapest possible materials and total absence of quality control. Anyone want to buy a house near Sevenoaks?

Yers, we are going to give it some serious thought.

Funnily enough the Kickspace was originally installed in the oven corner. The pipe tails are still in place. I moved it to the current location because it raised the temperature of the kitchen area rapidly to quiet uncomfortable levels ( I know that I can include a thermostat in the mains supply) and, strangely, very little of the warmth reached the breakfast room. In its current location the heat reaches both rooms.

Thanks Andy,
Regards Richard
To join in (very) late:
Are you absolutely set on a 900 wide hob?
ISTM that it would be nice to have, running along the 'bottom' wall"
Space between wall and hob (0.5), Hob (1), Dishwasher (1), 1.5-2bowl sink with drainer extending over corner (3), where the numbers in brackets are 600mm unit widths and give a total of 5.5, which I think is what you have available. If you could stand a slimline dishwasher, that would also increase your options
Washing machine to go where plinth heater won't be.
Unfortunately, this puts the sink just offset from the window, and would muck up your overhead cupboard plan. It also might mean you had to have a normal boring right-angle in the corner instead of a swish modern cut-corner. Not sure. Its late. I don't suppose you could move/enlarge the window so that it balanced the sink better? (Or is it just me that likes to look out of the window while at the sink...)
For a really off-the-wall idea... could you have the dishwasher and or washing machine UNDER the hob?? Hobs don't seem to need to extend below the thickness of the work surface. Probably against the rules.
Must go to bed.
David
--
Replace nospame with yahoo to reply
Unsolicited commercial email will incur a $100 processing fee

Funny what a nights sleep will do... I had an alternative idea sometime during the night which might suit (and which I think is much better):
Can you put the _hob_ where the sink currently is? [I vaguely recollect that I may even have seen ones that are specifically designed to fit into this kind of space.] You then have room for a full double bowl sink with a drainer (if you want one) extending away from the hob. The dishwasher can go under the drainer (under where the hob now lives) and there should still be space for the washing machine next to it. Or the washing machine could stay at the plinth heater position.
Nice though a full size double-bowl sink is, a 1.5bowl sink might actually fit better as it would give you a chunk of space between the hob and the first sink bowl.
David
--
Replace nospame with yahoo to reply
Unsolicited commercial email will incur a $100 processing fee
David Micklem wrote:

All worth considering!
Cheers Richard
David,
David Micklem wrote:

Yep,
Big Neff gas thing - 5 burners, 3 at the rear and 2 at the front; pot space in between the front two burners. Stainless steel surface.

To be honest the sink will only be used sporadically, i.e. for big stuff that won't go in the D/W and so it need not be located near the window. In any event, the window looks onto a carport.

The plan is to put 3 full width draws under the hob for cooking weapons. It's an ALNO kitchen but, having spoken to NEFF they (ALNO) are not sure whether the top draw will be useable because of the depth of the hob.

Many thanks Richard

http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/learn2/HowItWorks4_Free.html
The pages are free and there free tools on there that will upload Yr images for you.
DG
derek wrote:

Brill,
Thanks Derek.
Rgds Richard
Andy Hall wrote:

That may however be all you need.
IF I had an electric cooker on an internal wall, I'd use one again.
Backed up with a separet extraxctor to remove vapur.

I would support re use of extracting hoods to remove steam eg when simmering a piece of ham. Note that rectangular ducting comes in at least two sizes and the larger size, preferable for long runs, does not seem to be readily available. Get the .pdf catalogue from Domus with details of their kits etc and formulae for calculating requirements from length and flow rate - the hoods manual will tell you the flow rates required.
Richard Savage wrote on Tuesday (20/01/2004) :

Very definitely extract to the outside. The filter in a recirculating type may take out some of the grease, but none of the moisture. I ran a rigid plastic pipe up into the ceiling, then used flexible from there about 5 feet along under the floor. I might have been lucky in that the joists ran in the right direction to enable me to do this (check before you decide). Some, perhaps all cooker hoods can be set to recirculate or be ducted out.
I don't think the wasted heat should be considered, it is after all foul moisture laden air which will do your home and its decorations no good at all.
Make sure you get a wall outlet with a flap valve, to prevent air blowing back in. I don't think there would be much likelihood of the pipework ever needing cleaning out, during the working life of cooker hood. The downside is that it is a lot more work putting the pipework in.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)