Tumble drier condenser or vented ?

Does anyone have any views on condenser versus vented driers. Are there any manufacturers to avoid or any outstandingly good ones. Many thanks CB

Reply to
cb

I asked this same question a few days ago, worth finding the thread.

Opinion is strongly divided. In theory a good condensing drier, which dries well and removes at least 90% of the water from the exhaust air would be great - especially since I want to put it in the utility room, which could do with the waste heat.

But it appears that in practice they rarely perform that well.

I'm still undecided, but will need to make a decision soon.

Reply to
Grunff

In article ,

We've had several tumble driers, all vented, and they have sat in various positions in the utility room.

The present one is a Hotpoint TDl 11, which comes with a right-angled outlet ducting. It is probably in the best position so far..... sitting on a small bench, backed up against an exterior wall, with the outlet duct dropping down a foot, and out through the wall. The original exterior grille turned out to be an excellent fluff-trap, which could nicely block the airflow, and shorten the life of the element and/or thermostatic switches. So I cut it all away and just have a cranked piece of aluminium as a rain and wind shield.

A low pressure exhaust, going downwards as it leaves the TD is the key to best operation. It dries clothes quickly, all the fluff is blown outside, no build up in the ducting, no overheating of the element, etc.

Reply to
Tony Williams

We have had a Bosch condenser drier for the past 6 years and can't fault it. It dries beautifully (nothing ever over-dries) and the filter is easy to clean. Having had a vented drier before this one I would always choose condenser again.

Jo

Reply to
Jo

they dont work that way, the hot air is recycled in the machine over an alloy plate on which the steam condenses assisted by room air blown accross by a fan, so the only heat you get into the room is from the cabinet, same as a vented dryer.

Reply to
Peter

Look - stop mucking around - just buy the bloody Miele :-)

That way there'll be every justification for the new tools that you'll want in a couple of months time.

(P.S. Don't tell SWMBO that I put you up to that :-) )

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Except that the room air that is used to cool the condensor gets warm in the process.

I'm not sure your description is true for all condensors anyway. I have seen at least one with quite moist warm air leaving it.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

I'm aware that some of them work this way, but others certainly don't. Getting infomation on which ones work in which way is rather difficult.

Reply to
Grunff

Yes, but the Miele condensor or the Miele vented?

Mmm... Tools...

I think you're already on her blacklist.

Reply to
Grunff

Oh I see. Well I have the vented one and it does the job and fits the space..

I wondered that. Does beer help at all?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Beer always helps, yes.

Reply to
Grunff

I'm having a condensing Miele (T 230 C?) delivered on Wednesday so if you can wait another week I'll report back here...

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

That would be very much appreciated.

Reply to
Grunff

The condensor. Much less faff than drilling holes in the wall, to find that in 'x' years time, the replacement wants it 2cm smaller and slightly to left and that you can't push the machine all the wall in because the hose kinks.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

But in that case I'd be inclined to go for a machine with a drain facility (no tank to empty). Miele don't seem to cater for this.

Reply to
Grunff

In fact Miele have a 'pump away' facility on all their condensors. This was once factor in their favour at John Lewis last week - they are the easiest to plumb in, they said.

Reply to
Neil Jones

From Miele's own website:

T 230 C Novotronic condenser tumble dryer Easy to empty condensed water container with pump away facility if preferred

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Ah, ok - doesn't seem to get listed as a feature on the sites I've been looking at. Thanks.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks for pointing this out - I'd missed it. The feature seems to be left off the list for Miele on many retailer's sites.

Reply to
Grunff

I've not kept up to date with this thread but I have a whirlpool condensing dryer and a tremendous amount of heat is expelled from it. If you stand in front of it you can feel very hot air being expelled. It is also fairly noisy.

It has a plastic try in the bottom which you remove to empty the water. There is a small section in the door you need to remove each time to clean the fluff away. It also has a say 1' * 1' * 6" removable block which is full of corrugated fins - this needs cleaning out every so often as it fills with fluff.

I've never had a tumble drier before but I can vouch for the fact that it is a costly item to run. Our electricity bill has definitely gone up substantially since we got it.

Having said all that it's great (in the winter especially) because it is a lot less bother than hanging clothes out to dry.

Martin

-- Martin J. Evans Wetherby, UK

Reply to
Martin Evans