Kinds of oil

In another group, I was informed that I'd need:

[...] a light machine oil. I recommend a turbine oil like > Castrol OC-11 because it will not become gummy as it ages. > [...] You want somthing about 32 cs in viscosity with no additives.

Can I go into shop and ask for "turbine oil"? What does "32 cs" mean? I've never heard viscosity expressed like that before.

Does sewing machine oil count as "light machine oil"?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

"32 cs" is probably 32 centistokes, a centistoke being a measure of kinematic viscosity (whatever that might be).

It would be helpful if you stated what you need the oil for. As I'm not psychic, I cannot even guess, but a reasonable match to "light machine oil" could be good old 3-in-1.

Reply to
Bruce

"D.M. Procida" wrote in message news:1iskz8j.1g6jrpshvhvyN% snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk...

well if you went into halfords and asked for turbine oil, you'd either get a 'derrrrrr, we only have whats on the shelf' reply, or if your unfortunate enough to get one of the ripspead boy racers... 'wow, tell me what car you've shoe horned a jet engine into, i want to see it now, quickly i've already got a semi on' erm.. :)

anyhoo, i believe that sort of viscosity oil is used in hydraulic jacks, i'm sure when i was searching for some jack oil a while back i saw referances to

32 cs, but as the other poster has said, tell us what you want it for,

btw, i last bought my hydraulic jack oil from an oil distributer, wytham oils i believe, they had a retail office in lincoln, not too far from where i used to live, also got the 'special' semi synthetic oil for my motorhomes gearbox that iveco recomended to cure the stiff gear changes, as the iveco garage didnt have an oil can to put some from the bulk tank into for me, and withams was cheaper anyway.... and the gearchange on my motorhome has been smooth as silk since changing to a semi synthetic.

But there are other oil distributers around the country, usually cheaper than retail stores,

Reply to
gazz

It's for a light machine, of course.

Actually it's for the motor and sleeve bearings of an old reel-to-reel tape recorder.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

I doubt it - like all compromises it does nothing it's meant to particularly well. Its only strength is availability.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As you guessed a good sewing machine oil.

What make of reel to reel? I have several.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Assuming that the bearings do need to be oiled, you'd be better off for that purpose with clock oil, which you can usually get from modelshops.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

It's a TEAC A-3340 (well, this one is - there are others).

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

3-in-1 oil - as I understand - contains additives to assist in penetration and inhibit corrosion, and to make it smell like Seven-Up. Whatever it contains, it can become very gummy as it evaporates.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Yup. OK for garden gates - but not where a decent lubricant is required.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've got one of them 1/4 track rather than half though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And aren't they great?

Mine has been sitting in the garage for 15 years. I spent the past couple of days stripping it down, cleaning, lubricating and reassembling it.

Mechanically, it seems in excellent shape. The rubbers have hardened and will need to be replaced. All three motors are as silent and smooth as ever. It runs beautifully. The only glitch is that one of the microphone inputs is doing an impression of frying bacon. I hope that can be repaired readily.

The A-3340s were all 1/4 track, not 1/2 track, though.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Replacing the electrolytics in that section should sort that. They tend to die if not used for a long time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They tend to die whatever ...

Reply to
geoff

As they've got smaller the life certainly seems to have shortened. I've got a Quad 303 here dating from the late '60s that's never had anything replaced and is in use every day driving the subs on my main system.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's a long time ago since I bought it (nearly 25 years) but I thought you could get a 1/2 track version, maybe with a different model number but the only real change being the heads.

Mine sits doing nothing still works AFAIK. Really ought to set about transfering the tapes I have to digits before they become unplayable.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice