Kettle clicking

Not quite sure where else to ask this. But I was wondering why after using a kettle you hear it click occasionally.

I live in a quiet place and you can hear it, just an annoyance really. Just curious to why it does it.

I think its the kettle as thats where the sound is coming from.

Thanks :-)

Reply to
James_sutton

Probably different parts of the kettle cooling and contracting at different rates. In an electric kettle where the element passes through the casing, and the sealing ring moves against the case. Black guttering does the same when the sun comes ot and goes in.

Reply to
Jim Scott

On Thu, 4 May 2006 15:22:11 +0100 someone who may be "James_sutton" wrote this:-

Differential contraction.

Reply to
David Hansen

That means different bits contracting at different rates btw ;-)

Along with (as mentioned) gutters, double glazing units and central heating boilers / systems yer car is another good example. It'll be talking to itself for some time after you have walked away from it ;-)

On the kettle the first 'click' could be the bi-metalic thermostat thingy resetting after it has boiled .. ?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

The message from Jim Scott contains these words:

And plastic conservatories do it really badly.

Reply to
Guy King

Ahhh I see thanks for explaining that to me. Always made me wonder.

Reply to
James_sutton

If it's a kettle which switches itself off when it boils, and if the click occurs soon after boiling, it's probably the temperature-operated switch re-setting itself so that the kettle can be turned on again when required.

Reply to
Roger Mills

P'raps it's someone trying to get through, from the "other side". Listen to it carefully, it might be Morse code.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

James_sutton pretended :

The parts undergoing differential expansion and contraction as it warms up and cools down. In other words the parts having different amounts of expansion with heat and moving one against the other.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

"James_sutton" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

I think it's the automatic switcher-offer (if it is a forgettle) resetting.

If you try to use the kettle before the click happens, you'll prolly find the button won't stay down, or in,

mike

Reply to
mike

The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

It's certainly why mine is thermalite and cedar.

Reply to
Guy King

coooling/shrinking/metal to metal joint does the San Andreas fault thing in miniature...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ive got a plastic waste pipe running under the floor, and by does it sound like its dripping when you run hot water down it. Creak, creak creak. Hope it doesn't wear out ...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We've got one like that, been there for >35 years with no problem.

Reply to
Mike Clarke