Carpet tiles, 'brilliant' ;-)

Hi All,

A little while ago I was given a batch of pretty sound carpet tiles that I thought might be good in the hall, spare / work room in the interim (so probably another 10 years then) ;-)

I asked here about giving them a clean up any one of the replies was 'give em a good scrubbing in the bath' and that's what I've just done (to 20 of them anyway).

I was amazed how dirty the water was afterwards in spite of them 'looking' pretty clean and being well 'Hoovered' before they were lifted up.

I then gave then a quick rinse with the pressure washer (on the patio .. shame I don't have a garden) and now they are spread about in the sun to dry.

After washing them I layed them across a dustbin and had a cuppa and afterwards was amazed how much water had drained from all of them, considering they were in a big sopping stack?

So when dry, I can put them down (easier than fighting with roll of carpet) and they can still be easily be lifted as I continue my wiring upgrades (replacing the 15 year old Cat3 and old distributed TV cable).

Oh, and none of the noise and the walking-on-gravel feel of laminate either ;-)

And all for the cost of some hot water and some washing powder!

All the best and thanks to those who advised re the cleaning ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

A pressure washer works well too.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Erm .. "I then gave then a quick rinse with the pressure washer ..." ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

No, sod that, it's much easier to use a pressure washer.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I would definitely say there's something wrong with your laminate flooring if it has a "Walking-on-gravel" feel. Is there gravel on it?

Congrats on your tiles win.

Martin

Reply to
Schrodinger's cat

Sorry, I meant "A pressure washer alone works well too".

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Ah ;-)

Yes, it may well of done but I guessed there's nothing like some hot water, detergent, a bit of a soak and a good scrubbing to start the process (hard work though you are right but 'a bit of hard work never hurt anyone?' ... well it didn't used to anyway .. ) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I was only joking really .. but it does seem to amplify any small sones and grit that would be 'absorbed' in a softer surface?

However, my mate had some layed in his shop by another mate (of his). I think he ran out of underlay and put some of the laminate straight on top of the (unsealed) concrete floor .. now that *is* crunchy!

Thanks Martin, it gives me a reasonable flooring for the time being whilst doing a bit of freecycling ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

T i m wrote in news:h3vj52hvpiqrnqoj6eh1u3tfc65b2s97qv@

4ax.com:

I put down a layer of the fibre-based laminate underlay under the carpet tiles in our downstairs WC. Although expressly discouraged by the tile manufacturers, it has worked well - improving warmth and softening them underfoot. (It is a cold solid concrete floor beneath.) If too thick or too soft, any such underlay could cause the tiles to bow, creep and otherwise misbehave.

Reply to
Rod

Is that the (typically) green stuff Rod?

Understood.

At the moment our loo has lino tiles that are stuck to the vinyl 'self leveling' and then the concrete. It is pretty cold in the winter so you either keep yer feet on the mat or wear slippers but easy to keep clean ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

T i m wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The stuff I used certainly was green. And cheap.

Ours used to be the as-fitted-when-built thermoplastic tiles onto the concrete. Except, of course, where the old WC pan came out and was repaired with some concrete-like muck. It still is but has the underlay and tiles on top!

Reply to
Rod