Kenwood Chef repair

Does anyone have experience repairing a faulty Kenwood Chef mixer? It goes round but loses power every few seconds. Examination of the PCB reveals a swollen and cracked capacitor:

It's the one at the bottom left hidden by the immovable-without-further-disassembly cable.

It says "0,1 uF X2" on the top and "250V SH" on one side and "RIFA PME 271 M" on the other, so presumably it's one of these:

Would failure of this component alone cause the fault, or is it likely to need the motor brushes replaced too?

By the way, how does the speed control work? It appears to just move the PCB assembly away from the motor.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

If that's across the mains it's an EMI suppressor. It'll quite happily work without it, just might mess up radio and TV reception. The one you've suggested should be fine.

I think there's some kind of centrifugal control. TNP will probably be along in a moment - he's worked on them.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

It`s use here is as a phasing cap and therefore is needed. If you look through the pdf`s related to the component on RS`s page you should get an explanation.

Reply to
mark

only one.

replace both caps and the resistor.

There's a place online that does the service p[arts. Quote make and model and buy the full kit - the caps have about a 25 year life so replace em all.

The thing that's gone looks like the snubber - suppresses back emf spikes and makes the triac work properly, otherwise it gets erratic or slow. may blow the triac too.

my pictures are here..

looks like yours is more modern. Its gotta PCB!

The knob apperas on mine to squash a bit of rubber which I reckon is a transducer - conductive rubber - that changes resistance as you squidge it.

brushes should be OK but of you are worried replace em. signs are excessive sparking on commutator. .

Try these people

call up and explain symptoms and model. Looks like if you are lazy you can get an entire PCB :-)

But id go for two caps the resistor and a set of brushes. Can always replace those on spec anyway if it has seen a lot of service

depend how mean you are..; the parts are expensive from there, but the service is good and they are the exact parts

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Always good to know there are people like you around TNP - our Kenwood is still a mere youth, but I hope when it gets to my equivalent age there are people like you available to give similar assistance.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

TNP gave me the confidence to repair my mum's. Certainly worth doing for about a fiver in parts from Maplin.

was the thread.

Reply to
Part Timer