Kahrs Tuplex Underlay vs Timbermate Excel Silver

I was wondering if anyone knows the pros and cons of the above underlays for engineered flooring. I plan to put down a floating floor over concrete so I am looking for an underlay with a vapour barrier, which both of the above have provide. However, the Timbermate is described as a luxury rubber underlay with built in foil vapour barrier whereas the Tuplex consists of two layers of polyethene vapour barrier with flexible polystyrene granules sandwiched inbetween?

Many thanks, Bob

Reply to
bob

So what is your actual question?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

"I was wondering if anyone knows the pros and cons"

Reply to
bob

Yes. No. Maybe. HTH.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Please stop hijacking posts if you don't know the answer.

bob

I don't know what you're on about, old top. If you include context in your reply, and use plain English, it will benefit you (& others).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

We're still waiting for the question.

Reply to
jay51

I am looking for the "arguments for and against" using polystyrene/polyethene underlay as opposed to rubber/foil underlay for engineered flooring e.g.

rubber/foil is better for blah blah not so good for blah blah

and similar for polystyrene/polyethene

Many thanks Bob

Reply to
bob

Aha! Now I see. I'm not sure, though... perhaps the rubber stuff would not last as long as the polystyrene/polyethene stuff? What do *you* think?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Incidentally, "Kahrs Tuplex" sounds like a breed of Yorkshire Ram, from Bradford. Rams can be smelly. Is it a good idea?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Well I am not sure. The Timbermate is more than double the price of Tuplex but the latter is made by Kahrs so I presume is half decent. I wonder if they would feel different underfoot. Would the Tuplex feel more springy?

Reply to
bob

No offence intended - there's been a *leetle* pss-taking here. Please look at

- 3.1.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It's an engineered (timber, I assume) floor. It's not going to feel much different whatever you put under it, it's not a carpet. If a point load, or even a footstep, deflects the floor to any appreciable degree, I think that would spell "trouble". I wouldn't have thought that a "luxury rubber underlay" would make one iota of difference.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Underlay between the flooring and concrete would add a lot of benefits. It would give the floor resilience. I don't know how flexible polystyrene granules would perform in the long term, so I'd go for the less expensive rubber and foil option.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack