JG Speedfit

Hi

Has anyone on here ever used John Guest Speedfit plastic pipe with pushfit fittings? I need to connect hot/cold water supply in my bathroom (only about 8-10 feet) and was thinking of using these type of connection. I know the professional plumbers don't usually like plastic pushfit and only really use soldered copper, but for the DIYer it looks very good.

Reply to
Slider

Yes, as long as you follow the rules - cutting the pipe cleanly with the right sort of cutter, use inserts in the ends of the pipe, and insert it the correct distance into the fittings - it's fine. Be aware that the 22mm pipe - in particular - isn't that flexible, so don't rely on bending it round tight radii - use an elbow instead.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks for the reply. It's the 15mm I will be using. How flexible is this, can this be easily bended to form a rough 90 degree bend. Thought about using the rigid pipe pieces but prefer the flexible pipe as it eliminates all the connections.

Reply to
Slider

Use their cold forming bends

you can get down to 75mm radius with 15mm pipe.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Professional plumbers use it all the time. As others have said, follow the rules & its a piece of cake.

Great info here

The Medway Handyman

Professional plumbers don't take long to make a soldered joint, but even so the additional capital cost of the fittings is probably out- weighed by the additional labour cost.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Hi,

Will the piping be hidden or 'on show?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Hi, it's under a bathroom floor so not visible (apart from the toilet cistern feed which I will use chrome pipe)

Reply to
Slider

Remember to take the chrome plating off where it goes into the fitting. Chrome is too hard for the grab rings to reliably grip.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I was going to use an elbow compression fitting between the plastic pipe and chrome pipe.

Reply to
Slider

Right, the coils of 15mm pipe can be bent OK, but will do it's best to unbend itself! So extra support in the form of more pipe clips or 'cold form bends' could come in handy.

If there's only a couple of bends needed it might be easier to use straight pipe and elbows, especially if the bends will be close together.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Prefer to keep the joints to an absolute minimum, hence using flexible pipe. Just been and bought the materials, also bought several 'cold form bends' to hold the tighter bends.

My next mission is to find a compression elbow which is suitable for plastic pipe!!! Anyone any ideas?

Reply to
Slider

Any of them. You did get inserts?

Reply to
dennis

Apparently according to JG website not all compression fittings are suitable. See below taken from JG website

4.. Can I connect Speedfit Pipe directly in to a compression fitting? Not all compression fittings are suitable for connection to plastic pipe. Compression fittings with a short pipe stop depth or hard olives should not be used with plastic pipe.

Use a 'TSM' Insert described in answer 1. This will enable the pipe to withstand the compressive pressure of the olive. Push the pipe with the insert up to the pipe stop within the fitting. The olive must be located along the length of pipe supported by the pipe insert. Hand tighten the compression nut then tighten the nut with a spanner approx one more turn. Softer copper olives are preferable to brass olives.

Reply to
Slider