belt sander broken

Hello,

I have a green Bosch belt sander, which I was using to strip off some paint. One minute it was working fine; the next time I tried to use it, it would not start. I thought perhaps there was some thermal cut-out (though I had not been working it too hard), but even after a few hours rest it will not come to life.

Any ideas what this could be and whether it is terminal? Could it be something silly like dust in the switch or is it more likely to be new sander purchase time?

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

Brushes worn?

Some tools have a safety cutout in the brushes: a small plastic pin that pops out and lifts the brush off the commutator once the wear limit is reached, to prevent it running with ever-less pressure, and burning the commutator. Look carefully, it doesn't lift it off much...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

You have, of course, checked the fuse?

I have a Bosch jigsaw which has appeared to be dead on the last couple of occasions when I have needed to use it. On both occasions it started up after I had removed and replaced the fuse (which hadn't blown!) in the moulded plug. If it happens again I shall cut the plug off and fit a new one.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Mains leads are prone to fracturing internally where they enter the tool. Sometimes waggling the lead and pushing on it slightly will give a burst of activity to prove the diagnosis.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave the lead a waggle but it hasn't come back to life. I had already tried the fuse. Bosch are going to collect it and see if they can diagnose the problem.

Reply to
Fred