It just goes round and round

Page 1 of 2
Hi
Been trying to undo the washing machine drum central nut, but the drum just goes round. We couldnt stop it turning, so couldnt undo the nut. How to stop the drum rotating??
I did think of jamming wood between a drum pulley rib and a rib of the outer tub (drum's outer casing), but the pressure on it would be enormous, many times the force put on the bar driving the nut, so i didnt want to smash the tub doing that.
How do you folks do it?
Regards, NT
On 30/01/2004 N. Thornton a wrote :

First be certain that you are turning it the right way to undo it (left hand thread?). Instead of applying steady weight on the spanner, try giving it a sharp clout with a hammer or mallet. The drums intertia alone might be enough to allow you to loosen it.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:50:49 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote:

Well, that's what I did both when removing and replacing the nut. It didn't seem to be a problem, and still isn't, 3 years on!
--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...

That was how you were supposed to take the chuck off my old B&D drill. After ~15 years, it eventually took the splines off the drive shaft in the gearbox. It still looks perfectly functional, and you can hold it in the air and operate it and it looks fine. However with it running at full speed, you can stop the chuck by touching it with your little finger, although the motor carries on spinning at full speed. ;-)
--
Andrew Gabriel

In the days when you regularly did this to use your circular saw attachment etc, B&D said to insert the chuck key and whack that with a hammer.
Be careful with a reversing screw driving drill, though, these have usually a left hand thread locking screw which needs to be removed first.
--
*"I am " is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. *

I thought all chucks had this LH threaded screw, or am I wrong?
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

I've got a couple of old non reversing ones and they don't. If you think of it, the chuck can't really come loose in use - it will tend to self tighten. Could be modern drills all now use it to standardise things.
--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 12:10:51 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

I obviously don't really remember that well then, my first drill that I bought when I was at school was a cordless reversible! I would have checked myself but all my drills are reversible, SDS, or both.
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

My Atlas Copco cordless doesn't, and it's not through engineering down to a price or lack of torque.
Don't think that the mains AEG does either. however, as they're both the same manufacturer, it could be a manufacturer-specific thing.
-- Richard Sampson

How is it locked to prevent the chuck unscrewing in reverse?
--
*With her marriage she got a new name and a dress.*

London SW 12

Well, that's the 'standard' we're talking about. Or are you saying it's not a LH thread?
--
*All men are idiots, and I married their King.

On 30 Jan 2004 11:50:49 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote:

Take the drum out.
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
snipped-for-privacy@telling.you (Lurch) wrote in message (N. Thornton) wrote:

I hope this was a joke.
Regards, NT

I think it may have been the end of a very long day!
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote in message

You may need to heat the nut with a torch to break it loose. Also, keep in mind that the shaft may have left-hand thread.
David, on the Illinois prairie.

Easiest I find is an impact wrench, but average mech. doesn't have one. Usual method otherwise is to chock web of wheel with wood block. Because the wood is placed at the outer edge of the wheel the forces are not as much as you might imagine because of the extra leverage. If you have a good fitting spanner then the whack with a piece of 4 by 2 on the spanner may work.
MrCheerful
Bearings gone?
Been there done that - in the end the spare parts cost me about 50, took me about 4 hours and many cuts and bruises - in reality it would have been more sensible (for me) to buy a new or second hand washing machine ...
Rob
Drum bearings
Job done, with thanks to folks here. I used 2 wooden jams, one against the tub ridges, and one against the floor. It then behaved nicely. The washing frenzy has begun!
Regards, NT