Isolating electric circuits while working.

I would not... I have seen them light when touched to neutral, but not when touched to live, simply because I was sufficiently coupled to live at the time.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, when I read the OP I was not sure if by "switch" he was referring to the MCB or the main switch.

The two module wide ones sometimes are, the single "tall" ones often not.

Reply to
John Rumm

In fact all you would nee to do with a PME installation is disconnect the incoming PEN (protective earth and neutral conductor). Then your neutral and all exposed metalwork in the house will rise to mains potential ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:41:43 PM UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk wrot e:

Some years ago I was doing a job in the dockyard in Gibraltar - elsewhere i n the dockyard a jointer carefully isolated and spiked the cable to be cut, marked it with tape for his apprentice to cut, and went off for some reaso n. While he was away the apprentice/assistant started to cut the _other_ ca ble running parallel to it. These were 11kV cables, by the way - he was very lucky to get away with som e significant burns and loss of hair. The hacksaw blade was never seen agai n...

Reply to
docholliday93

I've been tracing mains cables with an audio induction loop receiver. Someone thought it a good idea to plaster over various sockets and junction boxes.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I replaced the leads on the tester the same day.

Reply to
ARW

I used to get 1 in 5 of my apprentices to pass.

2 in 5 quit (for various reasons) 1 in 5 got fired 1 in 5 left to work for another firm

But this is based on a small sample and one of the apprentices that left for another firm was due to his parents moving away from the area. He stopped at my house on week days and was still my apprentice until he got a placement with a firm near his parents (he graduated).

Reply to
ARW

Just how many of them do you take on in a year Adam?..

Reply to
tony sayer

cases where the fuse you need to pull isn't the one you'd expect (e.g. 13A sockets spurred off immersion heater wiring), so that's my main worry when jut pulling one fuse.

It's usually (I hesitate to say always) a double-pole switch.

Reply to
Windmill

========================= ================\

========================= ================/

This has been an useful discussion - I don't have any worries in my own house as I wired it myself, but I am going to have to do some work in my daughter's house and that has been partly rewired by the a***e she finally had the sense to throw out recently. The irony is the guy was working as a professional electrician for a while, but first impressions are that he has taken some short-cuts possibly with the intention of sorting them out later - later is now past and I'm left dealing with it.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I've always assumed they're just single pole. BICBW.

Another question: Is a double pole device which is described as a 100 A RCD 'Incomer' tripped by overcurrent as well as by earth leakage? Or is it just a switch with RCD capability?

Reply to
Windmill

Its just a switch with RCD capability, that will melt somewhere north of

100A ;-)
Reply to
John Rumm

various reasons incl. being on fire, twitching from the shock, ...

;-)

Reply to
Adam Funk

None, I now subcontract.:-)

I had 8 wannabes and 2 survivors in 10 years when I was in charge. This firm takes on one a month.

Reply to
ARW

A while ago I looked after the electrics for a local amateur theatre (as well as getting involved in actual productions). The house lights (eight, ISTR) (inter alia) had been "professionally" wired via seperate (MEM?) single way metalclad switch-fuses from metal trunking. The whole setup looked very neat until I noticed that every switchfuse was wired so that the fuse was in the neutral. So if someone merely pulled a fuse the circuit would still be very much alive.

Tip - always

Reply to
Frank Erskine