Is this Electrically Acceptable?

Hi all

I am looking at broadband and one or two other bits and pieces. In the loft I have 2 3A switched fused spurs off the upstairs lighting circuit.

I am likely to need 3/4 supplies up there: Network switch Router/modem TV splitter A N Other

Will one 3A feed supply two of these? If so, can I hard wire a 2 gang extension into each of the spurs and label them clearly "for ???? use only"?

Surely if someone tried to plug a kettle in(?) anyway, it would simply result in a blown fuse?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Sits back with popcorn and awaits next post describing the fire brigades attempts at extinguishing a blaze

Reply to
Robbo

I was running a WiFi access point, 8 port switch and a 800mz computer off of a 3A spur off the lights, it worked. That should be a comparable load to the above.

Personally I wouldn't hard wire, I'd just put a 4way in on a normal 13A plug off one of the spurs....

... I'd think as long as you labled the fused spur "3A ONLY", you'd be ok. I don't think you'd need both spurs, I would consider getting rid of one of them. If you have 2 x 3A spurs running at full whack you could overload/blow/trip the 6A lighting circuit.

I'm not qualified - but I seem to recall being given this advice by someone who was.

HTH, Will

Reply to
Will

it would supply all of them and more

can, yes, but should, not really. If you use a non-standard plug/socket type you'll be ok in the 'should' dept as well as the works fine dept.

fuses blow at way above their rated carrying current.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Non-standard plug/sockets are fine, but what if some of the kit is powered via a wallwart with built-in 13A plug? I would be tempted to hard-wire in a trailing 13A socket and hold the wallwart in with cable ties - or even superglue.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It happens that TheScullster formulated :

Dodgy area, so it needs the application of a little common sense. A single 3amp outlet would be more than capable of supplying all of those, except perhaps the A N Other.

Hard wire a single switched, fused spur unit with flex outlet into the lighting supply. Fit a 3amp fuse in the spur, cut the plug off one of those four way 13 amp socket outlets and wire it directly into the spur. 3 amps should more than take care of all of your needs.

Mark the spur as 'max fuse rating 3amp' and perhaps leave a spare 3 amp fuse taped to it, also mark the 4way 'max total load 3amp'.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Chances are, it will do that lot ten times over.

Reply to
John Rumm

3A at 230V is almost 700 Watts...

Add together the wattages of your items and see if they come anywhere near 700W.

At that sort of power you can ignore switch-on surges of the above items (apart from whatever A N Other might be!).

Reply to
Frank Erskine

............................................................. Gee whiz. Three (3) amps at 230 volts is 690 watts. The equipment mentioned not likely to consumemore than a third of that? Plenty of capacity most likely including plugging in a portable light while working up there?

Reply to
terry

Pretty well any mains device has its power consumption given somewhere - usually on the device itself. Usually in watts or VA. For this purpose they can be considered the same. Add all the 'watts' together and divide by mains voltage - use 250 to make the maths easier. That gives you the figure in amps. The A N Other *might* be a problem - if it is a 3 kW fan heater.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)