Is there such a thing as 'friction grease'?

yes you can get friction grease, it is called "killapoise" it is used on things like the adjusters on binoculars so you get a smooth yet stiff movement. I doubt it will have enough resistance for your application though. you need an hydraulic damper, I would have thought.

Reply to
mrcheerful

The only way I'd suggest is to get some spare hinges, remove the pins, file down the pin 'holders' and replace the pin with a bolt and self locking nut, with fibre washers between the pin holders. You'd end up with adjustable friction. One hinge per door might suffice.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This might sound a little strange, but we have some new French doors that I've just put in...all fine, apart from the fact that the doors are just a little too keen to swing open, and I'm nervous that someone will give it a push and it'll swing merrily into the wall.

I'm therefore looking for a simple (but not ugly) way to create a little additional friction in the hinges such that the doors stop naturally without whacking into the wall.

Is there such a thing as 'friction grease'? Or maybe something else that I haven't thought of...? I'm not keen on adding any additional mechanical devices as these would be obtrusive in this position.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Phil

Reply to
Phil

Hi Phil. You could increase the friction by using a centre punch on the side of hinge, you will need to do it on both parts of the hinge. Start off with little dings. Baz

Reply to
pjdesign

Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I'll try Baz's first, then Dave's failing that. Unfortunately hydraulics not an option here...

Phil

Reply to
Phil

Try a couple of these

James Salisbury

I sympathise with your problem, wish we had had sliding doors fitted.

Our solution is 2 big plastic plant pots on the patio outside with cut outs door frame sized. They keep the doors open at any angle in all but the windiest of days. Look good too when full of flowers.

Chris

Reply to
Kris