Is there any such thing as a wood filler that doesn't crack?

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has any particular brands to recommend?

Over the years I've used fine surface fillers, two part fillers (not car body ones though), outdoor, indoor, deep gap, rapid set blah blah. but they all seem to crack after a while - and I'm sure I prepare the cracks properly.

I repaired my front door last summer, with a combination of Dulux Weathershield exterior filler, and some two part filler for the bigger gaps. Used the Weathershield paint system, ensuring to paint end grain on both ends of the door. Looked lovely :) This year - bloody huge gaps around the panels, filler cracked and falling out - is there anything I can do, or should I just accept this?

My final question is - the previous owner covered our panelled interior doors with hardboard, and used many, many panel pins. Now that the hardboard has been removed I'm left with many small holes in the door - what filler would be best for filling these prior to painting?

Thanks

Alex

Reply to
Alex

There is no filler that will withstand the movement that *can* take place in wooden panels unless it is so flexible it feels like rubber. However it is not normal for wood to keep on moving unless it is repeatedly getting soaked and drying out.

Reply to
stuart noble