Is there an easy fix,, Electrical prob..

Well perhaps I answered Meow to quickly..

There is no big white temperature control knob as is on all of other the rads,,

But yes, on reflection, i suspect that there is a lyle wee square thingy on the other end of the rad near the floor,, which might be best thought of as a flow restrictor valve in this context.

Yes, I agree, a little bit of work balancing the flow of the system would give worthwhile results.

If it is all on one line,,

I don't know that, the plumber installed it all.

Can I assume that it is,

And if it is,, why was that not part of the instalation,

You heat the hall the heat goes up.

loft hatch is abit hermetically leaky ..

Golly this hoos issa global warming criminal..

I smoke and keep a window open upstairs,,

That the hallway should be the temperature control for the whole house seems like a wrong basic concept in this day and age,,

Should it not be as required by the occupied rooms, we have five radiators downstairs and three upstairs.

Two sensor valves that detect when a radiator needs a warm feed from the boiler would save loads of energy,

would require different plumbing though,,

Thnks for the nudge,,

i'll get hold of a radiator key and give it a go..

\minor hassle

There is a great big six foot sideboard in front of the rad filled wi mums old toot,,

..

Mike

..

Reply to
nutherperception

So next question,, if i restrict the flow to that rad,,

would it also restrict the flow to the others,,

are they plumbed in line ?

Or does the hot water from the boiler take the path of least resistance..

////

The plumber fulfilled his requirements,,

The inspector checked and confirmed his work,,

And yet,,

Here I am trian to figure ,,

Why money bleeds upwards,,

//

Sorry. am feeling abit pesky now,,

..

Reply to
nutherperception

Not usually...

No.

Think of a ladder. The sides are the flow and return pipes, the rungs the radiators. You need to get the balance through all the parallel paths of the rungs (i.e. the rads) about equal.

Yes.

So in an unbalanced system some rads would get the lions share of the flow and heat quickly - others much slower or not at all.

Some installers take a lazy way out and assume that using thermostatic rad valves on all or most rads will fix this. In reality it only does partly, and its slow - since you are waiting for the high flow rooms to warm to the point that the rad valve shuts off, and only then can some of the flow start getting pushed through the others.

If you want to fully balance the system it takes time and is somewhat tedious:

Something to do with being at the bottom of the food chain I expect ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

When he says about Radiators in line - is he describing a single pipe system?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

It doesnt restrict others, they're in parallel. Start with closing it & opening a quarter of a turn.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

relatively unlikely I would have thought... and even a single pipe system is not quite "inline" in the sense that many might expect it to be.

Reply to
John Rumm