Is there a form number for title deed?

I am still awaiting the title deed for my brand-new property. According to the Land Registry, which I contacted several weeks ago, the title deed was forwarded to my solicitor in March.

What is the *official* name of this title deed? Does it have an official form number? I want to give my solicitor a friendly reminder, and it would have greater effect if I could quote a form number at him.

MM

Reply to
MM

I understand from a recent discussion on the subject with a solicitor that the so-called "deeds" no longer have any legal significance and that that is held by the Land Registry itself.

You can get an office copy from their web site for £2, which would be considerably less than a solicitor would charge just for putting the paper in the envelope and posting it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

reminder,

The title to your property is registered with the land reg and as Andy said a copy can be sought from

Russ

Oh dear, I wonder if the impressive bound document the L.R. recently sent me when I paid off my mortgage, is a figment of my imagination.

I agree it what is in the L.R. that matters, but if they have sent official copy to your solicitor then demand they give it to you. Assuming you have sole title that is, if there is a loan on the property then the mortgage will hold the deeds.

Reply to
OldBill

Not at all. It's simply marketing. Take a look at the Land Registry web site, the Land Registration Act 2002 and specifically

13 Oct 2003, the status of the Title Information Document is that it is *not* a document of title - i.e. posession of said document does not imply holding of title.

This is a new property.

or tell them to shred it and not waste time and money.

This is incorrect. It would only be relevant in the case of unregistered property where the old practice was for the vendor to pass the title deeds as evidence of ownership to the purchaser or secured lender.

With registered propoerty, charges against the property are recorded by the Land Registry, which is the whole point of having a centralised system.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The document issued by the Land Registry when you are the outright owner is called a Land Certificate.

If there is a mortgage on the property, it is probably then called a Charge Certificate - and it will be held by your bank or building society until you have paid off the loan in full. In this case, if the solicitor was also acting for the lender, it would have been sent to him in that capacity - and he will forward it to the lender, not to you.

Reply to
Set Square

nope, that's probably your deeds. the 'legal' one is the electronic copy. held by the land registry. you can download and print out a copy of your deeds but they are not legal until stamped by the LR

we did it just last week and when we filed them we found /our/ bound copy of the deeds which we'd forgotten about. wasted £4 :-(

RT

Reply to
[news]

Have you bought the property outright? If on a mortgage, the documents go to the BS - or did in my day. You could get copies of them, though, if you're that interested.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or if you live in Scotland .

away from
on account of the charges .because of the name it comes up first in Google. Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

We were given the deeds too (in an unimpressive handover and, disappointingly, no ceremony) a few years ago.I'd be disappointed to know that it had no value.

Although it was a fascinating document, our house was built on private land in the 1930s and the story of that land, the owners, the family diputes and the like was amazing!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

So does that mean that our property is not registered, since we have the title deeds? We've never had any communication from the Land Registry.

So our deeds might be a legal document now but not when/if the house changes hands?

This is fascinating.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not necessarily. If you look on their web site there are a number of information notes which explain it. If it's not registered, then the deeds are the defacto document of ownership. If it is, then it was probably registered before the new Act, but the effect of the Act is to make the Land Registry as opposed to the piece of paper definitive.

You can easily check by spending £2 on their web site for a copy of the entry.

Again if you read the inofrmation notes it explains what happens when there is a change of ownership or some other registration/charge event

- e.g. remortgage..

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's value is as a certified copy of the registration entry, much as you would get if you went to the registrar of hatched, matched and dispatched and asked for a copy of your birth certificate.

Trouble down at t'mill? Luddites smashed up machinery? That kind of thing?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Velly intelesting, I'll have a look, thanks,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That's why I'd like to buy an old property again. This brand-new house has no history and consequently no character. The deeds to my ex-council house in Bucks went right back to well before the house was built, the land (12 acres as I recall) having been purchased by Wycombe council from Lord Baron Carrington for £800 during the war. The council estate was only started well after the end of the war. Those deeds made fascinating reading even though the property had only stood for fifty-odd years. And the deeds by then had got to at least an inch thick. Imagine a house built in the 1800s!

MM

Reply to
MM

We have the hatched ones, crumbling away in a filing cabinet. Both signed by the same chap ...

But we wanted a copy of a 'matched' certificate, when we couldn't find the right file the vicar of the church where we were married (at the bottom of the street) said that all his records have become subsumed in some central record place (forget the name, someone will remind me). It wasn't the Registry.

Oh no, just the usual fallings out between siblings, cousins, children being disinherited for not toeing the line ... No mills round here in the late

1800s and early 1900s. Not the right kind of country. No machinery either, that's at the other side of the city - downwind :-)

I don't think there was anything like that in Leeds, the Industrial Revolution was the real start of our development. The Heavy Woollen District had that kind of thing.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You'll have to give it some!

Well, that's the thing. Our house was built in the late 30s but the deeds recorded everything which had gone on with the land ownership for centuries before then. It wasn't just the building we live in. That's what made it so interesting, we became part of a much bigger entity in time as well as space.

Very few of our neighbours will ever see their deeds because they move on before they pay off their mortgages. We had a council mortgage because the council had to re-house us and we persuaded them to give us a mortgage instead of a council house. We didn't qualify for a BS mortgage. When we went to the Civic Hall for the deeds we expected there to be some ritual but we were left sitting in a corridor until an uninterested teenager clerk brought the envelope and said, "Here you are." and went off. What an anticlimax!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Red Dwarf?

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

I obviously miss so much by not having telly!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher