Is there a form number for title deed?

Mine state I'm not allowed to carry out trading as a tinker or peddler from the premises or sell alcohol. Or keep pigs. With a back garden the size of a postage stamp it would be more likely a piglet.

I'm taking it all the way to Europe...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What - the pig?

There are no restrictions on our trading as tinkers or pedlars, just as well, we do both! I have a feeling that if They knew we had hens They might ... ignore it!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I think it takes years and several owners/occupiers before that happens. Also, in my previous property I had expended a lot of effort ripping off six layers of wallpaper, painting, laying floors, re-doing the garden etc etc, and in the end I felt like I had become part of the property. This new property needs zilch done to it, and there are a few things about it that I don't like. I don't like the alarm system and the hermetically sealed doors and windows (ideal enclosure for carbon monoxide-induced suicide, by the way), the horrid low-voltage lights that don't come on immediately like good old-fashioned bulbs, the almost white carpets that pose a continual problem trying to keep them clean, the pancake-like surface of the 'topsoil' the builders put down in the back 'garden', the cost of metered water....need I go on? Actually, across the road is an identical property now on the market for almost £11,000 more than I paid. If they get it fairly soon, I shall be off to pastures new (and older, much older).

MM

Reply to
MM

MM

This might be of interest to you seeing as you mentioned the price of your neighbours house .It is free.

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

I thought there had to be some form of ventilation by law ...

What I don't like about those is the quality of the light. But surely you can eplcethem with tungsten in?

They're mad. But was it down when you bought the house? I've never heard of a built-in carpet!

Hire a rotovator.

Now that surprises me. Our water bill has been reduced to a munuscule amount since we installed a meter.

'Sup to you!

But then you'll have to spend all that time and effort getting rid of the evidence of previous owners' bad tastes and DIY skills!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh, there must be some. Otherwise I wouldn't be writing this! But you must know what it's like in new properties, even if you live in an old house. My previous house creaked and groaned. This one is as silent as the grave, which is what it feels like most of the time.

Yes, the light itself is far too bright and glaring. That, too, is a problem. I once had the idea of ripping out all the low-voltage stuff and putting in proper lights. But then I thought, stuff it, I'm gonna move! Not all rooms have the LV lighting - the bedrooms have nice bulbs. I often sit in the bedroom with the door shut and imagine what life would be like if the whole house were thus equipped.

Oh, it was there all right. But I had to move. I needed to break away from the South. It was getting too congested. I always saw this house as a jumping off point and not as my final destination. I didn't think it would take this long to fall in love with a place. Since I haven't yet, I think it's time to move on (when the market speaks, of course).

That was going to be my next move. But after considerable raking, loosening, aerating (with one of those hollow tine thingies) and composting over a couple of weeks, the grass is now growing and, I must say, it is coming along quite nicely, though a bit patchy. See here:

>> the cost of metered water

A cubic meter is around 90 pence, I believe. That sounds a lot, judging by the number of baths I take. (I hate showers.)

No, it's still the middle of the afternoon.

Ah, a challenge at last! Can't wait!

MM

Reply to
MM

anyway. It's a real eye-opener, isn't it! I was gobsmacked to see some of the (low) prices my neighbours paid a year or eighteen months ago.

MM

Reply to
MM

So what's the problem with hermetically sealed doors? You won't getdraughts, therefor your heating bills will be lews and you'll be doing something for the environment.

This one is if we don't make any noise, sing, whistle, put on the wireless, the radiogram ...

New bulbs are cheaper!

Oh come on!

There I can sympathise with you.

We're not in love with our house, even after 40+ years.But I never expected to be, things are to use, people are for loving.

I suspect that's the underlying reason for your complaints. But you're happy to inflict them on others!

can't see the point of lawns anyway that was no problem, saved on mowing.

I don't know what we pay but a cubic metre is a lot of water. I hate showers too.

Well, I suppose everyone needs a hobby ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh, I know I am being a responsible little householder, but didn't you ever see that poster of the bloke who painted his house purple? The thought police were arriving to take him away.

That's a different kind of noise. I'm talking about the noises of a living, breathing structure, spiders and all, that has survived fifty years of gales, storms, snow, sun, and countless tenants (in my case) with their various little 'improvements'. An indefinable soul that is also present in old boats.

Cost is not everything.

No, sorry, I cannot. I am too depressed. No, you cannot persuade me! I said NO, okay? Oh, all right, then. Cup of tea and a bacon sarnie? Oh, well. If you feel you must...

I don't mean that kind of love, but the kind of empathy one feels for one's habitat and surroundings. In any case, nearly all the people I loved are dead.

Hey! That is really nice to hear! Perhaps I'm too much of a perfectionist to notice. Although I do admit to feeling just a tad pleased with it. So far, at least. Anything could happen. Probably the worst.

Lawns look nice. They generate a pleasant atmosphere. But hens are nice, too. My father had several thousand of the little blighters. We ate quite a few of the old'uns. They were tough unless boiled. They really stank the place out when the innards were drawn.

I'm getting withdrawal symptoms for the lack of a paintbrush and dirty fingernails.

MM

Reply to
MM

You don't you know.

I travel a lot, as you know. In most places I can listen to R4 or the World Service on the internet. I used to take a short wave receiver with me but no need any more. I can get a reasonable connection in most places - for example, I am not in the UK now.

When one is in a cultural and literal desert (or even dessert) like California, being able to listen to Newshour is an oasis. Somehow Owen Bennett-Jones and Robin Lustig (I went to school with him) represent something of a stability in an uncertain world.

I'm a strong critic of anything with government or pseudo-government involvement. This doesn't mean that I'm an However, when I listen to material from the BBC (and take out what is normally obvious bias), I don't begrudge a penny of the licence fee.

Reply to
Andy Hall

DID I SEND THAT???

I'm sorry if I did, I don't know what 'lews' means! And I do know how to spell 'therefore'

No.

Why? It's not environmentally unfriendly ...

Houses don't live or breathe ...

You have to have incredibly acute hearing to be able to detect spiders by any other sense than sight and touch.

Falling apart and horribly decorated!

Hmm. You could always live on a boat. We considered it once. But not for the noise.

I think you're just finding things to post about.

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. If you couldn't anticipate the problems and your acceptance of them when you saw the house before you bought it there's no hope for you.

I doubt that your tea would be to my taste. As for the bacon - what breed, what rearing, what layerage, what killing, what cure, what type of bread? I'm probably even fussier than you :-)

Oh bolli!

There must be younger people around you.

Oh! You're becoming aware!!

No they don't.

No they don't. And you spend time watering and fertilising them so that they grow and then you cut them. Mad.

Simmered.

I've never known that. Perhaps it was a function of the feed- or perhaps the innards were damaged when they were drawn. I've drawn hens, ducks, geese and turkeys (as well as game birds) and have never had bad smells.

Look, there's nothing to stop you painting your house even if it's pristine.If you don't like it it needs it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well, I do, really :-)

We don't go abroad but I do always have a personal radio to listen to WS through the night if it's a wakeful one. Through the day R4 is in every room, even the greenhouse (solar/wind up powered). Away from home we have those too.

No - really ? !

Yes ...

Me too.

A what?

Nor do I.

But there's no licence fee for radio!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Like a Wakefield one?

It's really not that sophisticated -- a Still Small Voice of Calm.

I know, but I would pay one for the privilege of hearing Humpries and Naughty in full flight.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I did wonder. But it's okay, I joined up the dots.

Well, there was this poster, printed/published by Verkerke, as I recall, in the 1970s and it depicted a drab town scene, all the houses the same. Except for one where the owner had deigned to rise up against the norm and mounted his protest by painting his house purple.

No, but it didn't fit in. Just like we are all supposed to live in hermetically sealed boxes nowadays, otherwise we are thought irresponsible and playing fast and loose with climate change. (The actual problem is too many people on the planet. The ideal number is, apparently, 500 million.)

Mine did. It moved a lot. In fact, sometimes I'd turn into the street and wondered if it would still be there.

And evidence of cobwebs. They were everywhere. My house could at times have doubled as a set for Great Expectations. Also, I often helped spiders out of the bath.

That's character for you! Look at Tracy Emin's bed - world-famous.

I couldn't stand the lapping of the water. It would keep making me want to wee.

Please elaborate.

It was past the point of no return. In the rapidly downturning market I was lucky to get a buyer whom I didn't want to lose. It was coming up to Christmas. I was a hundred and fifty miles away. I think I made an excellent choice given the pressure I was under. And if I can make

11 grand in six months, so much the better. That's a big 'if', mind you, judging by the way some people are talking the market down at the moment.

The bacon will be prime EU bacon, reared intensively, dry cured preferably, on farmhouse bread bought at Somerfield yesterday. In any case, I was rather hoping it was YOU trying to tempt ME out of my bedroom with victuals aplenty, not the other way round. Sadly, I was mistaken, as with so much in life.

No, no, I'm serious. Do you not think some/many people feel so attached to their houses that it is a real wrench to depart thence?

Dodgy. The News of the World has its spies everywhere. Yeahbut yeahbut she said she was eighteen, officer!

Thanks for that. I'm glad someone cares.

Yes, they do. Else why do so many millions of people grow 'em?

Yes, they do. Your go.

It's therapy. No pain, no gain.

No, mum said they had to be boiled to kill the bacteria.

I can't draw for toffee. I'm sure if I exerted myself, I'd make bad smells trying. Too risky in this hermetically sealed environment. My uncle could draw very well indeed. He drew people's houses in pen and ink, though not in purple.

But that would be rather a waste of time, money and effort. Much better to husband my resources for a property that needs them.

MM

Reply to
MM

We're twelve miles from Wakefield, I've never slept there. Nor even spent a night there. Well, there were a few hours in Stanley when No 3 son was in the Burns Unit at Pinderfields but that doesn't count.

A WHAT??

So you can't begrudge it!

I'd pay not to hear Humphries.

I go and brush my teeth, noisily, when he's on. My teeth are in wonderful nick.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Discovered something positive today! The french doors opening into the garden have this central post separating them. I opened the right-hand door several weeks ago and thought, how stupid to have a post in the centre. What if one had kids that wanted to play on the patio one minute then rush into the kitchen the next? They'd keep banging into the pole in the middle. Today I opened the left-hand door for the first time, and lo! The 'pole' went with it. It isn't a pole after all, but is part of the left-hand door! How amazing.

No, I didn't get round to opening the doors yet, since it's been so cold. Why would I?

MM

Reply to
MM

Would they?

Turly amazing.

To see if they worked? The hinges might have been rusty, the wood might have needed attention, you might have wanted to sweep dirt out, to install draught-proofing ... oh no, it's hermetically sealed. To let in air perhaps?

Why did you did open one of the doors weeks ago , Why did you open the left hand door today?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It's all brand-new. No rust, no wood, no dirt, no draughts. (Sounds like a Nina Simone song!)

Curiosity.

To let a bluebottle escape.

MM

Reply to
MM

But you didn't know that until you opened it ...

Ah. I should have thought of that when compiling the list.

er - I do wonder how the bluebottle got in ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Correct. Before that I thought it was more Acker Bilk.

Through the open back door.

MM

Reply to
MM