Is it OK to put floor tiles on 'self leveling compound'?

My builder is finally going to screed the floor this weekend, but, fair play to him, he has admitted that as he isn't a plasterer, I should expect a completely smooth finish.

As I am laying floor tiles, I am guess that as long as the floor isn't too bad, I can absorb the slight inperfections with the tile adhesive.

However, he has suggested that I put self leveling compound down before tiling, which seems a good idea. Is there any problems laying kind of material on new screed, or laying tiles on top of it?

Following advice from this group, I am waiting a few weeks for the screed to go off before laying the tiles, so I am guessing I should also wait the same time-frame before putting down the S.L.Compound.

However, I have a number of questions.

- Assuming the screed has completely gone off (say 2 to 3 weeks) and I lay the compound, how long after this can I tile.

- Should I put a water/PVA solution on the screed before laying the compound

- Should I put a water/PVA solution on the compound before tiling?

As always, and info would be hugely appreciated.

Best regards

Jon

Reply to
Jon Weaver

leave for a day

Yes, if not the leveler will have the moisture sucked out before it cures. This also has the efect of making the mix go stiff to fast not allowing it to 'self level' . Later it is likley to break up.

No, Leveling compound is self sealing

To be honest the builder should be levelling the floor. Chances are he will do it the next day and won't take as much care

David

David