Is it destructive to heat Wendy House

There you go then. :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Somebody said it wasn't the most marvellous Christmas present, but it's the fort that counts...

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Andy Hall writes

What the OP needs is a Wendy wood burning stove

Reply to
raden

rubbish. 120W will achieve somethg in any building.

Its how much that is the issue.

Most of the year this house is heated entirely by 600W of Aga, and by about a kilowatt of waste electrical and human heat.

insulate the wndy house, and the kids alone will be enough at about 100W each...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"raden" wrote | What the OP needs is a Wendy wood burning stove

I can see the headlines now: Children burnt in Wendy wood burning stove tragedy. Building Regs to be extended. "We must never let this happen again," said a Labour MP.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Would this mean you'd need to employ a Corgi with a Wendy?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote | > I can see the headlines now: Children burnt in Wendy wood burning | > stove tragedy. Building Regs to be extended. "We must never let | > this happen again," said a Labour MP. | Would this mean you'd need to employ a Corgi with a Wendy?

Corgis tend to snap at children and leave little messes around the place. I don't think Wendy would approve. :-)

For somewhere with weans, you'd be better off with a 'lectric ambient/background rad(iat)or. They're much more child-friendly.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

With 50mm of Celotex, I'd consider an air conditioner to provide heat or cooling for summer use :-)

Reply to
Mike

In message , ian mayo writes

Binaries are not allowed in this NG.

Please e.g. put it on a website and post the link in future

Reply to
raden

Thanks for that Geoff.

Here's the beauty:

open to more opinions....

Reply to
Ian Mayo

How about double glazing ? ;-)

Reply to
Coherers

I thought it was bairns where you are - as from the Celtic word, 'barn' (for wean).

Reply to
Andy Hall

If you're in/near London, put it out to rent.

Reply to
Mike

And twin combis. A win win win situation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

LOL. :-)

Reply to
Coherers

"Andy Hall" wrote | >For somewhere with weans, | I thought it was bairns where you are - as from the Celtic word, | 'barn' (for wean).

Encarta has: [Old English bearn. Ultimately from an Indo-European word meaning "to carry, bear children," which is also the ancestor of English bear, bring, suffer, and metaphor.]

Etymonline adds: beran ("bear (v.), carry, give birth")

Weans in west of Scotland, bairns in the east, and loons and quines in the Doric.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Well... AIUI, the Geordies call them bairns as well.

Interestingly, the Swedish and Norwegian (and possibly Danish) word for child is 'barn'.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's a Wendy House. I'm bored.

Let's say said wendy house is 2m*1m*1.5m. So, walls 9m^2, roof 3m^2 (pitched), floor 2m^2.

Starting with the floor, we have a perimeter of 6m, and an area of 2m^2. Call it a U value of 2. (extrapolating off the end of a table.)

Walls. I'll assume it's not got plasterboard/celotex/..., but is 1/2" timber. Inside and outside R values total .17, and the timber is about .1, for a total R value of .27, or a U value of about 4.

Roof. Inside/outside Rs = .14, wood = .1, total = .24, or again about 4.

So, total roof+walls area is 12m^2, U value of 4, I make that 48W/K. And the floor will take 2W/K, totalling up to a nice round 50W/K. Or 2.4K above the outside temp. While not exactly toasty, this is certainly usually noticable, and will be significant in terms of keeping things dry.

Taking the shed to an average U value of 1 (120W would heat it by 11C) would need about 4cm of polystyrene/...

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Your forgot the windows ;-)

What is the U-value of a hole?

Reply to
Coherers

Often with a 'y' or 'ie' added. Which really confuses non locals. 'Yon loonie' just refers to a lad...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)