ways to heat up a house

I have a 6000 sq ft house The main (5 burner) furnace is a York P2MPD14N08001C which probably heats up half of the house. The Pacard Bell blower fan is wired to the black lead (max speed). It is about 10 F outside and about 62 inside the downstairs of the house. The upstairs is nice and warm, but has its own independent furnace. The furnace seems to be working, but maybe inadequate for the size of the house. I have been thinking about installing a new furnace. Are there any inexpensive ways that I can heat up the house without replacing the furnace ? I have two electric heaters running during this unseasonable weather, which helps, but I was thinking of other ways. The one idea that I have been considering is changing the blower fan. If I were to install a blower fan with bigger blades, would that help move more heat from the furnace to the rest of the house? The blower motor is powered by 110V 50Hz. It is rated for 110-220 AC operation (European is 220 VAC 50Hz). If I fed it 220 VAC, would that cause problems? I still have to investigate if the control boards operate at this rating.

Reply to
Deodiaus

heat into home is tied to BTU output of furnace:(

How about a direct vent wall furnace of gas logs? assuming your existing furmnace is alreay a 90+

Whens the last time your furnaces were serviced? if this was never a problem before your furnace may need a tune up.

Reply to
hallerb

The furnace and house was last inspected about 2 years ago, when I bought it. It seems as if the unit fires up, heats up, and shuts off for a little while (the exhaust vent cools down to a confortable touch). It then starts back up again ok. Is there a way to change the setting for how long this delay should be? The blower delay time is set to about 120 sec, the medium setting. I swapped the source1 control board for a Johnson Control pt #031-01140 model# G951ADB-1402 from another unit, but the same problem still exists. BTW, I also changed the filters.

Reply to
Deodiaus

It is not time controlled, it is temperature controlled. Yes, it can be changed but I don't know anything about your unit or what the setting should be.

The problem may be limit switches or sensors, not the board.

Good first step.

Did the unit work OK in the past? Is the unit design what the present cold temperatures are? May pay you to get a pro check it out.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I can't tell if you want to get through the next 2 to 5 days or you want something for weeks on end.

You also don't say where you live or what makes the weather unseasonable. It's winter! Why shouldn't be cold? :)

I've had furnace problems myself. Ran out of oil once or more. Had a problem with the ignition reset twice.

For many parts of the country, and many parts of some other parts, whereever it's not very humid already, for short periods, a few days, the secibd quickest way to feel warmer is to boil water on the stove. Put on one small pot that will come to a boil quickly, and a big pot that can boil for hours or until you feel fine. (at 62. 62 is cold in the house, but outside I'm not cold until it's below 50. Go figure.)

Try not to run the flame after the water boils out. One pot turned black when I did this, although I think I cleaned it up.

The quickest way to feel warmer is to stop the bathtub and run the shower at full hot. The steam will fill the room and spread to the rest of the house. BE DARN Sure you don't let the water run over the tub, but I like to plug the tub because the water is still hot. I don't drain the water out until it's emitted all its heat to the house.

I've never had a problem with water condensing anywhere it's not meant to, except maybe cold windows, and it was no real problem there either.

Higher humidity is like being 4 to 6 degrees warmer, maybe more.

P&M

Reply to
mm

I want some of whatever you're smoking...Come on , stop bogarding it and pass it over here...LOL....

Buy a couple of Electric heaters...The cold snap is supposed to ease up in a few days and things will return to "normal".....

Reply to
benick

You're talking about steam and boiling water? Don't knock it till you've tried.

Reply to
mm

Does the furnace cut off before the thermostat setting is reached? If so, there is something wrong with the furnace. Weren't you the one who posted a few weeks ago about the limit switch cutting off, and later found a problem with the blower? Thinking more though, if you have a mechanical thermostat as opposed to digital, the heat anticipator could be set wrong and cutting the furnace off too soon. Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

It should run continously until it reaches the thermostat set point, or it needs repair. Run your stove and oven.

Reply to
ransley

Hi, But if the furnace is under-sized, it'll never reach the set temp.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Blower better be running on medium speed(not high). Hot air is easy to push than cold air. High speed is for cooling.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hmmm, Sounds like you don't have a humidifier where you need one in winter.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

How much of a difference (in percentage) is it to push hot air rather than cold? BTW, what anyone know the difference in speeds between the 3 settings? I will try this, as it is just a 5 min matter of changing settings.

Reply to
Deodiaus

Someone just told me that even if I were to run it off a 240 line, the internal impedance of the motor would be twice as high, so doing this does not run the fan faster.

BTW, does anyone know if the there are squirel cage motors with bigger blades? If not, would installing a small fan inside make a difference?

Reply to
Deodiaus

True, but I thought he said it cycles on off

Reply to
ransley

The blower is set where its at for a reason, just like its set at high on AC mode, you may feel less comfortable with a higher blower speed from breeze and just burn more electricity. From what little I know lower is better but the temp of the exchanger should not go above the design limit.

Reply to
ransley

That doesn't right to me. The resistance of the windings won't change and the inductive impedance, also in ohms is dependant on the frequency of the current, which isn't going to change.

That is not to say I think running the fan faster will help much or help at all. There is only so much heat made by the fire, and if you blow the air over the hot heat exchanger faster, it seems to me the air won't absorb as much heat as if it passed by more slowly.

Let's imagine the opposite. If the air absorbed just as much heat per volume of air, and the fan ran faster, so there was more air going by, the heat exchanger would lose so much heat it wouldn't be as hot as it once was. So, it wouldn't have enough heat to warm the air.

I'll admit that when I turn the fan higher in my car, it does make me warm up more quickly, but I think the difference is that my car has adquate heat and for some reason, your furnace doesn't. It's not running enough it seems.

BTW, you said you are running it on 110 volts 50 cycle. Where are you that you have 50 cycle current?

If you call someone out and say you are considering installing a new furnace, he will undoubtedly be wililng to have his company sell you one. But I would not tell him that. I'd ask what is wrong with the furnadce now, and how much it is to fix it. YOu're all ove rthe map here with the fan, the size of the furnace, the limit switches. I don't think this thread is anywhere near figuring out whawt your problem is. You don't know the BTU rating of your furnace for example. You didnt' even say if it was oil or gas! Or if you have a good flame.

If it's oil, a lot of people have them cleaned them every year. Once in two years is certainly not wasteful. Ask someone to come out and look at your furnace while he's cleaning it.

Inside where? No.

Reply to
mm

BTW, I missed it at first, but he said he already has two electric heaters. Plus they won't work as well as a hot shower or boiling water. They make so much heat, at high cost, and they have to run all the time or heat disburses till you can't tell the difference. Humidity will fill the house in an hour or two and then you can turn off the stove and it will still be humid for 5, 20, 20 hours. Houses are typically dry in the winter. To go from 10 to 30 percent up to 50 to 75 percent makes an enormous differnence.

Reply to
mm

I have one in the furnace, but that doesn't work when the furnace isn't working. His furnace runs some, but we don't know if it has a humidifier or not.

Reply to
mm

Many motors have the speed determined by the frequency they operate on and the number of poles in the motor. Read poles as just the way the windings of the motor are if you don't under stand that part. . The motor will run at the ratio of 50 hz to 60 hz if you go from one frequency to the other. Faster on the 60 hz frequency lines. You probably have to change the internal connections of the motor to make it run off the 240 volt line.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery